1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiyo, Jul 1, 2011.

1. chickiyo

chickiyo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    So we just got our first Silkie. And I am not sure how to introduce the new chicken to the other two, who are definitely not taken with her...we have a little pen where we are keeping her for now, until the hens get used to the "stranger with the extremely fluffy butt".

She is somewhat of a rescue, her previous home kept her in a very small area with alot of chicks, and the owners were really rough. However, it was nothing like a puppy mill, the chickens were dirty, but well fed and had good nesting boxes.

None of the chickens looked sick. But the owner told me they were not vaccinated. I am keeping my new silkie separated for a week from the other chickens, and I really am not sure how to get her vaccinated, as my previous chickens were pre-vaccinated. Do you guys know what vaccinations should I ask for at our vets? Is it even necessary to get her shots done?

Anything else I should do? How should I socilize her?

Also she definitely needs a bath, how do you give a chicken a bath?

2. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Dont know about the vacs but the bath, warm water and Dawn dish soap! works wonders! I had a silkie chick (she had to be culled) who had poultry lice and the Dawn actually killed the lice!! Also it will take a LONG time for them to dry off so you can also take a hair dryer to them! My chick loved it!

3. chickiyo

Jun 21, 2010
    Thats great [​IMG] thanks.
    How do I wash her face though? Her head of fluff is pretty dingy, and i dont knoww how to take offf the dirt without getting shampoo in her eyes

4. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:you could try a tooth brush an brush the fluff backwards like your brushing hair.

5. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

You can put a drop of mineral (baby) oil in each eye so that the soap will be displaced if it happens to get to her eyes. It is just a little insurance...

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    And be sure to keep her separate for 30 days rather than a week. Often, new ones are sick but it doesn't show up for a few weeks. Please don't take chances. Even if she were from the healthiest, most reputable breeder on the planet, they should still be isolated at least a month. I've read on here too often of people getting new birds and ending up with an entire flock sick because they didn't quarantine the new one.

7. chickiyo

Jun 21, 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys. [​IMG]

I actually found a bird vet where I can take her to. If the vet gives me the all clear on her, will I have to still quarantine?

8. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Yes I still would. the vet could not see anything medically wrong with her but some bacterial illnesses can take up to a month to show up and not even a vet would know!

Heres a link to some respiratory diseases and some info on them

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/respiratory_disease.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by