New chickens, 1 sick. Need advice on how to handle existing flock.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kpramsey, May 30, 2016.

1. kpramsey

kpramsey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    I have recently acquired two year-old hens that have been separated from the rest of the younger flock except for one quick instance of "escape and mingle." One of the new hens is now showing cold-like symptoms (sneezing, shaking head, snot bubbles on nostrils). I am treating the whole flock with antibiotics and VetRX, just in case. Do I get rid of the sick hen, get rid both of the new hens, or is the damage already done and I should integrate them once the course of antibiotics is through and everybody seems to be feeling better? I am willing to have the sick bird tested for MG if necessary.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How close are the newbies housed???

I tend not to treat for most things unless I actually see symptoms, so I would have chosen to treat the sick hen only.

How long ago did the mingling occur??

3. kpramsey

Mar 30, 2016
    Really far away! The mingling was basically just the sick chicken racing through the run as I chased her. She didn't stop to chat or swap snot with anyone that I saw. I'm thinking I will have her tested for MG and go from there with the others...

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Define "really far away". For some folks that would be 20 feet, for some 200 wouldn't be enough to qualify. [​IMG]

5. kpramsey

Mar 30, 2016
    About 70-75 yards. The well girls are on one end of our lot, the sick bay is at the other.

6. kpramsey

Mar 30, 2016
    Well, the sick chick did, indeed, have MG. I had her and her partner euthanized, and now I hold my breath for a couple of weeks until they rest the rest of my flock to see if the "mingle" had disastrous results...

7. kpramsey

Mar 30, 2016
    Test, not rest.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well that's really terrible! It does show why quarantining is an important practice... Is MG spread ONLY by direct contact??? So clothing/boots, etc. worn in contact with sick birds and existing flock would not spread it??? And not airborne??? Hope the rest test negative.

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    This is why I NEVER get outside birds, only chicks from tested flocks. So sorry for your troubles, and hoping for the best. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by