New chickens added to coop

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amidonal90, Dec 21, 2016.

1. amidonal90

amidonal90 Just Hatched

Aug 17, 2016
    I have 6 new chickens about a year old i also have 12 of my own. This women gave hers to me as she couldnt care for them anymore. My chickens will not let them come down to eat or drink water and still pick on them very badly. I have 2 jersey giants 2 buff orphington and 2 easter eggers that are new to my coop. My jersey giants can come down sometimes but still get pecked at. My buff orphington wont come.down nor will my easter eggers. 1 of my easter eggers is very skittish runs and hides under the other chickens.she looks very rough but looked that way when i got her. But the easter eggers and buff orphington get the worse of it. Hetlp how do i stop this.? When i got my rooster they picked on him for maybe 2 days this is going on a week for my new girls.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  3. amidonal90

amidonal90 Just Hatched

Aug 17, 2016
    Im new to chickens what does that mean

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Did you introduce them to the flock gradually, or did you just toss them in and hope? Chickens take their social order very seriously and react to newcomers with extreme territorial aggression. For a cohesive, smooth transition, it's best to keep both flocks separate, but nearby, until they get used to having each other around. When trying to combine two flocks, you will need a lot of space, much more than the usual guidelines.

5. amidonal90

amidonal90 Just Hatched

Aug 17, 2016
    Ok we have about a 2 feet of snow and im not sure how to do this. I mean all my hens are laying even mu new ones. Should i use a fence and block half my coop off?

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How big is your coop? You're going to need about 108 sq ft of coop and a minimum of 360 sq ft of run to reduce the territorial tensions. Do you have that kind of space? At this point, separating them may just cause more upheaval. Multiple food and water stations should also be placed in different locations, to reduce resource guarding. Adding things to help distract the established flock may help. A pile of compost or a few flakes of hay can keep them entertained for days.

1 person likes this.
  7. amidonal90

amidonal90 Just Hatched

Aug 17, 2016
    I was able to give half the coop to my new and half to my old flock with both water and food stations. And nesting boxes for both. The all have enough space plus mine go outside during the day as i keep it shoveled to the dirt

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That is great....Keep in the look no touch set up for a good week or two.....Be prepared for the usual fights though once mingling the flocks.....It will be two subgroups for months probably?.....That is fine as long as no injuries happen.....Keep the extra food and water stations set up.....Pecking order takes a while......Free ranging daily will take the stress off both groups once they start to mingle.....

Cheers!

Happy Holidays.....

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by