new chickens all wheezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickhick, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    I brought 5 new chickens home yesterday, and I quarantined immediately. Today I noticed that all 5 are wheezing, and sometimes sneezing and coughing. They seem okay other than the respiratory thing. I really like them and want to keep them, but I don't want to put the rest of my flock at risk. What are the chances that this will clear up, or are we likely in a situation of "carriers-for-life"?

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Truthfully you will have to find out just exactly what you are dealing with before your question can be answered.

I would get in touch with your state's Ag. Dept. and see where to go from there. They can get you in touch with places to get the birds tested to find out what they have. Then they can recomend treatment.

3. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Thanks. I decided to call the guy and ask if I can return the birds. It was awkward to tell him I don't want to risk infecting my flock, but I just don't want to introduce disease to my girls. He wasn't happy about it, but he said he will take them back and return my money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by