1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chickens And 1 Layin Egg w/ No shell??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Courtney R, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Courtney R

Courtney R Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    4 thnx giving my uncle and Aunt brought 2 of their Rhode Island Red to give me... but i have 4 chickens so i gave each of them 2 my sisters. Well i thnk that they needed 2 get situated b4 they layed any eggs so the 2nd day i looked in side the nesting spot and something caught my attention next 2 it.... since they sleep on top of it they layed them on top and the 1 i saw rolled off on the ground and cracked, so then i was lookin 4 anothr 1 an there was an egg ontop w/out a shell.. just the inside lining, well i was wonderin if u can still eat it and stuff. i didnt hear bout this till a couple weeks ago wen i joined BYC.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    How old are the chickens? How long have they been laying for? I am sorry but I am having a hard time understanding - are these chickens all together or did your sisters each take one? What are they being fed?

3. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I think you need to put this in the chicken behaviors and egglaying forum. [​IMG]

4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Unless you get a whole, uncracked egg, I wouldn't eat it. What I'd do is cook it up and feed it back to the chickens.

5. Courtney R

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    ok... well our aunt and uncle hav a flock of them and they gave them those 2 and i thnk that they r sisters. idk how old they r but they r young... probably around a year old. So if they r around a year old i thnk u can probably look up how long they have been laying. and last but not leat i feed them chicken feed called Gamebirds/ Showbird. i gave them some egg shells and giv them squash, bugs, salad veggies, plants, weeds, grass and i thnk thats all. My rooster caught a frog once and ate it.. and a lizard. But thats all i kno.[​IMG]

6. Courtney R

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    Well its a story too and if u dont want it inhere then dont comment on it, u can deal w/ it[​IMG]

7. Courtney R

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    Oh, i didnt thnk of that... i didnt kno wat 2 do w/ them though[​IMG] thnx

8. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    When they first start to lay, they often have a few mis-steps before they get into the swing of things and shell less eggs or "fart eggs" aren't uncommon. I had one the other day, and our girls are just approaching a year old. It was the first one we've had...sometimes there's just a glitch in the system and unless it happens regularly, it's not really anything to worry about. I didn't get a chance to cook the one we got...she'd laid it in the nest and the other were all over it! LOL

9. Courtney R

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    yea i have heard bout that "not gettin the hang of it yet" And i havent gotten a chance 2 cook my egg eithr, Thnx 4 the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by