New Chickens and coop!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jmetz09, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Jmetz09

Jmetz09 New Egg

Jan 13, 2017
    so I am looking to start a new coop and get some chickens. I am already paying for farm fresh eggs weekly lol. So I figure why not do it. Any and all tips on getting the chicks, all the stuff we will need etc... would be welcomed' thanks a much.

-Jessica

2. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Welcome to the site.

When it comes to chickens it really depends on what you want, high production, cold or heat hardy, temperaments, free ranged or in pens. If you want to get chicks you can look over at the chicks section for lots of idea's on building brooders and some idea's of what to feed them. As far as my chicks go they prefer chick starter mash with 18% protein and a little hard boiled egg yolk mixed into it. Would you think of getting from local breeders or chicks from a hatchery? It really comes down to if you ever want to breed or show or just have pets/chickens who produce eggs for the family. I myself have done half and half, ordered egg layer pullets from a hatchery and gotten silkie chicks from a breeder since I am interested in showing silkies at some point.

Everyone here is super friendly and loves helping out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    There is a good place to get started with information you might want to know.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Jessica, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard. As Lady'V suggested, the best place to start your quest is the Learning Center. It will prepare you for the journey and answer many questions you have and some more that will come later. On actually obtaining chicks, another option is a local farm and ranch store...around here they start stocking baby chicks sometime in February. There are also any number of reputable hatcheries from which to order day old chicks. They are tough little critters and survive the trip with a very high survival rate. Whatever you decide, prep on the front end will help to avoid frustration and possible heartache on the back end. Best wishes and enjoy your future flock! :)

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Jmetz09 [​IMG] Welcome!

Besides the Learning Centre, you might also want to say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Some great coop ideas here if you do not already have any: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here. Good luck with your entry to poultry and if you have questions, always feel free to ask.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Jessica. Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by