New chickens and no eggs :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Thousand Oaks Family, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Thousand Oaks Family

Thousand Oaks Family Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    So we decided to jump into chickens and purchased 3 hens and a coop. The move went well. We moved them at night when they were in the coop to lessen the stress. I was very excited when we got an egg the next day and the day after that. The third day we got an egg with no shell. I figured that stress from the move was stopping the other ones from laying. After the 3rd day there were no eggs at all. One of the hens would lay in the box but no egg. Finally got another egg after 8 days after the move and so I thought at least one of them would be back on track. But nothing since then. One of them is in molt so i would figure she would be out but the other two seem quite healthy and happy. [​IMG] I know they were laying at the old location. At the old location they didn't have to worry about predators so the coop door was left open. I have to close them up at night and open it up at 7:30, well after sunrise. Might this throw them off or are they still adjusting to the new environment? Not sure what to think. Trying to be patient but it is hard especially since we got eggs right after the move and now nothing.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It's just the stress from moving. The eggs they laid right after the move were already "in the works" and had to be laid. It can take a month or so for hens to start laying again after you move them.

3. ChixPix

ChixPix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    I got 2 layers about the same situation. They laid a few eggs for about 4-5 days then it stopped. After another week, I was getting one a day, then eventually, back up to 2 a day. I think it just takes some time for them to get used to their new surroundings.

4. Thousand Oaks Family

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    I hope you are all correct. I thought when we got the one egg after a week it would be back on. I guess patience is the name of the game.

5. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    When I got my first hen, I was SO impatient...I was starting to worry because it was taking her SO long...and then one day I found a soft little egg sitting in one of the boxes! I was so excited! Then a few weeks later, I got a small egg, but with a shell. At first she was laying about every 2-3 weeks. Once the hens get to know the place, they will start laying more. It has happened with all the hens Ive ever had ( which is a TON) !!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  6. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    I'm glad to see this post, and in particular, the reply about the stress of the move, and being up to a month before you start seeing eggs again! I also adopted some laying hens recently, and the same situation.. Had a few eggs the first few days, then nothing! And now, they are starting to lay again, but only 2-4 eggs per day......out of nearly 20 hens. So.. Maybe they will all start laying again in a few weeks, once they are used to their surroundings more. I'm sure yours will, too! It took several days to start getting ANY eggs again. [​IMG]

7. Heathercp

Heathercp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Durham, NC
    We "adopted" older BA pullets and went through something similar. We got a couple of eggs the first day and then nothing. After a week or so they started laying again, but it took them a couple of weeks until they were back to their old "egg laying machine" form. Moves are stressful. I guess chickens are like cats and don't like change. Anything that stresses them out can cause them to stop laying for a while. I've read about near encounters with predators leading to a reduction in egg laying. It kind of makes sense if you think about it. Their bodies are probably primed not to bring babies into a place that doesn't seem safe.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Chickens HATE change. Anytime you change something, it affects their laying. When I integrated new chickens in with my existing hens, they quit laying for a week. Give them some time to adjust, then you'll get more eggs. You won't be seeing any eggs from the one that is molting though, not until she's done molting.

9. Thousand Oaks Family

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    So I was very excited this morning when I heard the egg song out back. Even more excited when I heard it from two of them. But I went and checked an hour later and no eggs! I was disappointed but thought that maybe tomorrow. However I went back a few hours later and was surprised to finally find another egg! I'm trying not to get too excited or expect too much right away because the same thing happened a week ago and it too a week to get this new egg. Hopefully the other hen will get back to form too. I saw one in the box after the first egg so that gives me hope. Will update tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by