New Chickens & Apple Orchard Next Door-Spraying

wilderonce

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Just built new coop & purchased 8 <1yr old hens, 2 days ago. 6 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Ameraucanas. My neighbor just sprayed his 100 acre apple orchard. With what I don't know but probably this early in the season some type of oil based spray. Used one of those high pressure sprayers and a cloud just floated over my new coop. Any danger to my new birds? Will their eggs be ok to eat? I am a complete novice here and would appreciate help with what I should be concerned about. The right questions to ask my neighbor. Thanks!

Last edited:
Talk to him and tell him the situation exactly as you illustrated it here. Ask him what the chemical was. You can use the info he gives you to look up the MSDS (material safety data sheets) on that chemical over the internet and find out exactly what it's dangers are.

Good luck.

ETA- He should not be spraying in such a manner as to allow so much over-spray, anyways, no matter what the chemical was. I might chat with him about that, too.

Last edited:
Thanks! Don't know why I didn't think of MSDS. I worked for years in an industry that used them all the time. Will talk to him & research data. Not sure why this particular spray traveled so far. It usually doesn't come this far into yard & there is practically no wind today. Perhaps he had his angle or pressure set to high. He is a good neighbor so I don't think overspray will be an ongoing problem. Thanks again!

how scary! it reminds us all how we are inter-connected and whats in the air we breathe anyways!

the nice approach first, the neighbor may even learn from your interaction about eh chemical. who knows?
good luck!

Back
Top Bottom