New Chickens, Coop & Run NH

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jewels123, Jul 11, 2010.

1. jewels123

jewels123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Central NH
    Hello, I'm uploading some pics on here for my Julie, my wife. We (I mean she) decided to get chickens back about 5 months ago, we went to a chicken swap and picked up 7 hen chicks (3 Wyandotte, 2 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Ameracuana...or Aruacuna...I dont' know enough about this stuff). We lost one Barred Rock and got another Buff Orpington, so still at seven chickens.

After we got the chicks we had to have a coop, so I got a shed kit from Lowes (I didn't feel like cutting 2x4's all day...I'm lazy). It is an 8x10 shed, I added a window for ventilation. The coop was built with two things in mind- Julie loves to garden and we need a plce for the chickens. It's got 4 x 8 feet of space for the chickens and 6 x 10 feet of space for supplies and planting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First pics show my kids and myself starting the coop....I've got to find the rest...run is done and coop is almost 100%, they seem to be missing hmmm. I'll start this and finish later. Built the egg boxes today, just got to slide them in the coop tomorrow.

2. jewels123

Apr 6, 2010
    Central NH
    I'll post some pics of the chicks too...they're almost full grown now...and all the pictures we've taken are missing... I think we have two memory cards and the other card is MIA for the moment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Coop Looks great, Great choice of Birds [​IMG] Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

4. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    I have this same shed from Lowes...painted the same colors as yours/your wife's. I love the way you put in the big window and window box. We still have a few finishing touches to put on ours....nesting boxes....2 more windows...roosts...etc. We live in Texas and it's really hot here. I/hubby have had to put in alot of extra ventilation. What do you have over your windows to keep the predators out? I hope you find your MIA memory card so that I can see your run. Keep looking for it.... I can't wait to see what else you have done with your coop/garden shed. Cute chickens. I have 11 chickens...2 BR...3 EE (1 turned out to be a rooster)...1 RR...1 Golden Sex Link...3 cochin bantams (2 turned out to be roos) and 1 Secrest Bantam. Here's a picture of my coop. My run is on the right of the picture. I have it covered with shade fabric to help with the heat. It is made of a chain link dog run and chicken wire. I'm a bit worried about predators and thinking I need some hardware cloth. My chickens are living in it and so far so good but if you've read the predator stories on here you will know why I am worried.

[​IMG]

The picket fence on the left of the picture was attached yesterday by my hubby (DH as they call it on here). It looks much better now. I am planning on planting a flower garden on that side...just as your wife has....or....I hope my DH doesn't read this....but....adding another chicken run on this side too. I haven't decided yet what I want to do. I have another smaller coop that I bought off Craigs list. It's my original coop and what got me started in this addiction. I am in the process of painting it and getting my DH to add a roof (not today honey...in the future though) so that I can use it for my roos if they should start fighting over my girls. I really wasn't in the market for roos but I got some anyway. I have already fallen in love with them so I am hoping I get to keep them.

[​IMG]

The photo above shows my original coop in the right corner with some of my chickens in it. I painted it bright yellow and blue this weekend. Oh...and now since your coop is complete you need to name it....and...if you want to keep up with the "Jone's chickens" you will need a sign too. LOL I have decided to name my big coop "THE OTHER SIDE" (why did the chicken cross the road? to get to "THE OTHER SIDE" and my little coop will be named "THE SUNNY SIDE" for sunny side up. (it took me a while to come with these lol) Good luck with your chickies! Your Coop/Garden Shed looks great! Post more pictures when you find that memory card.

5. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Oh ...something else we have done since these pictures were taken....My DH made a screen door. I keep it open during the day and close it off at night for safety purposes. It has really helped with ventilation.

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Was that shed easy to put together? I love it- and if two people can do it alone, I will start saving my money!

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Very nice! Looks like you're in a nice rural area. I love the window with the flower box under it.[​IMG]

8. jewels123

Apr 6, 2010
    Central NH
    I put the shed together basically myself, was pretty easy. Though I do have a pretty decent building background. I decided to frame the floor differently than the kit said, I got rid of the KD lumber and made the joists out of PT lumber. I painted the coop floor with an epoxy paint to help protect the wood, it's water based so no worries for the chickens. Put in the window so Julie can look outside from her gardening bench and give some ventilation. I added a temporary vent at the back gable, covered it with builders cloth. I built the coop portion with 2x3's and covered with builders cloth and secured cloth with fender washers and screws. The run was added after, it's built from lanscape timbers, 2x4's and a metal roof. The run also has builders cloth secured with fender washers and screws, I have the builders cloth down a foot from ground level.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I painted the sign over the door (it's of a Barred Rock and some flowers...didn't know I had it in me) I'll take a pic and post in that other thread about signs.
    [​IMG]

Just installed the eggbox tonight, need to put hinges on the lower door
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some f the girls grown up a bit more

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm only uploading these and posting because Julie isn't familiar with posting pics...this is her user name and she's the one that visits here... I won't take over your account babe. I do enough posting on my poker site...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  9. forrestacres

forrestacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Squam Lakes - NH
    Welcome! Awesome coop/run and beautiful birds. Where in NH are you located? We are in Sandwich.

10. jewels123

Apr 6, 2010
    Central NH
    Quote:Concord/Bow Line

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by