New chickens ~ diarrhea ~ what are some healthy treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GaNewChick, Oct 11, 2009.

1. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    I got 2 Light Brahmas and 2 Buff O. yesterday (all pullets). They are between 4 & 6 months old.

A couple of them have some really bad diarrhea. (no blood) I gave them some plain yogurt last night, what else can they have to help the digestive tract?

I plan on worming them, and giving them a bath at some point ~ they really stink bad.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    please tell me they are isolated from the rest of your flock. This could be something contagious that could really harm any other birds you have

3. GaNewChick

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Yes, they are isolated. Are there any healthy treats to help their digestive tract. I gave them a little more yogurt and shredded a little bit of raw carrots today.

I don't want to give them anything that will irritate them further.

4. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    electrolytes in water and some plain scrambled eggs is what I have seen suggested in other posts

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    keep doing the yogurt! It will help it after a couple days. It always worked for me.

Good luck

6. GaNewChick

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Thanks! I also put them back on chick medicated starter feed for a couple of weeks. If that is the wrong thing to do, let me know. [​IMG]

7. CrazyChickMom

CrazyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    U.P. of Michigan
    I would not change their feed. They are old enough to be on layer. Keep up with the yogurt and try some ACV in their water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by