New Chickens Dying...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by burkehd, Jun 11, 2011.

1. burkehd

burkehd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    We purchased 11 seven month old Rhode Island Red Hens a week ago today. Yesterday morning when I went to the coop, I had three dead. THis morning there are three more dead I can't find any marks that something killed them. I know have two others of the new hens acting sluggish. None of my original hens act sick. Advice?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Could you provide more information?
    Tell us about their housing, bedding, food, water? Have they been checked over for bugs? How does their poop look?

3. burkehd

burkehd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    They are in a 20X20 coop with 10 other chickens. They two large outdor runs. We have a 3 gallon water and a gallon water that are changed twice daily. We feed 4# of 16% layer mash twice daily. There are shavings for bedding. Is there anything I can give to hope my other chickens stay healthy since they are not affected at this time? With the circumstances I can only assume that it was something in the new group we brought home.

What kind of bugs would I be looking for?

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I am no expert, so I am trying to ask the right questions in hopes that someone else will come up with some more concrete solutions. I'm really just shooting from the hip.

Were your new birds quarantined from the rest of your flock for a period of time when you first got them? Is there a way to separate them now? Have you checked with the people you bought them from to see if they have any sick chickens presently? Do you think your old flock was keeping your new birds from food and water?

You might check for lice and/or mites. Pick them up, look around their vents and under their wings especially.

Oh, and here's the poop chart so you can check for normality: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Give them free choice to all feed and water. Never limit the amount of feed. They will know when to stop eating. If they run out of food they could start cannibalizing and feather picking each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by