1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new chickens egg laying/nest box problems

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by all-cracked-up, Jun 4, 2008.

1. all-cracked-up

all-cracked-up Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I was told that these hens are around a year and a half old, 2 plymouth rocks, 1 RIR, 3 buff colored?, 1 small white, 1 small black, 2 are multi-browns (americauna?) and one young full grown rooster. We have had them since 5/12/08 and the most eggs we have gotten in a day is 6, but mostly it has been about 3 a day. Seems like they are holding out on me!! They seem settled but all (or however is actually laying) want to use 1 nest box even though 9 are availlable. Also having trouble with them kicking hay out of boxes and laying eggs on the floor that we find broken and eaten. Have tried the whole corn/red pepper recipe and golf balls in the boxes from BYC forum!! Great suggestions, but am I missing something?!Or am I being impatient?

2. all-cracked-up

all-cracked-up Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    NW Oregon
    Also have used the baked egg shells 2x and have oyster shells available!

3. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Our adults took two months to settle in. They too all lay in the same box or space on the coop floor.

You might want to try yogurt. Either this worked for us or else it was a coincidence. In any event, for eight RIRs, we went from three eggs a day to up to seven just recently.

4. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I got 8 RIR hens that are a year old I am getting 6 a day finally after a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by