1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chickens for Christmas!!!! English Bantam Chocolate Orpingtons

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Wyandotte77, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Wyandotte77

Wyandotte77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    I am terribly excited to pick up two new chocolate orpingtons on Sunday!! We are getting two pure English hens from a very reputable breeder in our area. These are my first bantams and I am slightly nervous to introduce them to my three full size hens. Any suggestions for working these little ladies in? I can't think of a better Christmas gift!

2. ChelseysChicken

ChelseysChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    Don't just put them in there! And I say this from experience!
    I had 3 "big" hens and I tried to put in 3 tiny banty hens in with them....Not happening!
    Just establishing pecking order is too much for their tiny bodies against the biggens. I'd set them up in a pen next to the other hens,where they can see each other but NOT touch! And leave them that way for awhile,until the other hens begin to act as if the new ones don't exist!

Good Luck![​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chelsey gave you good advice

4. Wyandotte77

Wyandotte77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    I plan to set up a temporary pen in the corner so everyone can get a good look before they go together. The three I have are very docile so I am hoping this goes smoothly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by