New Chickens from Flea Market

Mister B

Songster
6 Years
Feb 7, 2013
NW Alabama
I know it is generally not a good idea to buy chickens from a flea market, but I had no chickens and this was the easiest way. This guy is friend of my Mother in Law, so I trust them to be ok. They have some feathers missing from their hind quarters, I expect from being kept in a small enclosure too long. He said the former owners didnt take care of them right. I'm treating it like a rescue. Anyway, he said the Rooster was a black australorp. here is a picture:

He said this hen is one too:

And he said this hen is an Amerucana:

They are really flighty, they move to the other end of the pen when I come near. I've had them for a week, and they are starting to come near if I bring food and stand still, but only if I stay out of their run. Any help with what kind they are will be appreciated.

MadabtChickens

Songster
8 Years
7 Years
Jan 24, 2012
near Branson, MO
I know it is generally not a good idea to buy chickens from a flea market, but I had no chickens and this was the easiest way. This guy is friend of my Mother in Law, so I trust them to be ok. They have some feathers missing from their hind quarters, I expect from being kept in a small enclosure too long. He said the former owners didnt take care of them right. I'm treating it like a rescue. Anyway, he said the Rooster was a black australorp. here is a picture:

He said this hen is one too:

And he said this hen is an Amerucana:

They are really flighty, they move to the other end of the pen when I come near. I've had them for a week, and they are starting to come near if I bring food and stand still, but only if I stay out of their run. Any help with what kind they are will be appreciated.
The first 2 do look like black Australorps. The "Ameraucana" is probably a black sexlink.

WalkingOnSunshine

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Ohio
I agree about the two black ones being Australorps. The "Ameraucana" definitely isn't.

It might be an Easter Egger that doesn't have a beard, but it doesn't really look like one. You'll know for sure if it lays a blue or green egg. Otherwise, I do not believe it is a Black Sex Link, as they have red leakage around the hackles, not white/gray like this bird. Could just be a mixed breed bird.

Mister B

Songster
6 Years
Feb 7, 2013
NW Alabama
I haven't gotten any blue or green eggs, which is why I was suspicous of the Ameracauna. It is probably a mutt chicken. I really don't like it, or the other like it. They are really scared of people and get the other chickens all worked up. Also, they kind of look like buzzards close up. Not pretty. I have some eggs from them and the black rooster. I may sell these two later or trade them for something else. Maybe when their eggs hatch in 3 weeks, I will sell the chicks and the moms. Any neat info on Australorps?

WalkingOnSunshine

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Ohio
Any neat info on Australorps?
Other than what you can look up online?

At their best, they are more green than black. The green beetling is really strong in the breed. They are very beautiful.

Other than that, to me they are just chickens like other chickens. Mine haven't really stood out as friendlier, better egg producers, etc.

Nocila

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 23, 2012
The ameraucana you bought is definitely not an ameraucana. Real ameraucanas actually have standard colors (blue, black, splash, wheaton, blue wheaton, et cetera). If it was sold as an ameraucana, then it is probably an easter egger (easter eggers aren't exactly a breed, but a cross of a few different breeds). They are supposed to lay green eggs, but it is possible for them to lay pink eggs, too.

I think, to be certain of the easter egger, we'd need better pictures...

Also, just so you know, easter eggers are frequently sold as ameraucanas. Hatcheries label them as ameraucanas, and feed stores (along with several bird owners) follow suit (something that is really unfortunate for ameraucana and araucana breeders).

Mister B

Songster
6 Years
Feb 7, 2013
NW Alabama
I agree its a mix. He said the Ameracauna would lay blue eggs. All eggs so far are brown. Somebody is laying a pretty speckled egg, though. He probably didn't know either. Its breeding with the australorp rooster. Pics of chicks when they hatch.

Top Bottom