1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chickens - Getting them used to coop, advice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bren0990, Feb 22, 2015.

1. bren0990

bren0990 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    Yesterday we got ourselves two 7 month old Lohman hens and introduced them to our Garden Ark, which if you are not familiar with can be seen here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/948957/the-garden-ark-step-one-to-life-with-chickens

All they wanted to do all day was hang out on the outside roost, they wouldn't venture to the bottom of the coop or inside the hen house. I had their food hanging in the bottom but even when I put in a little ramp they wouldn't venture down. This morning they started investigating the hen house so I closed the door behind them to get them accustomed to it and put an extra food dish in there. The house is really too small for the hanging feeder. I also moved their water into the house with them. The coop itself is located right now in my detached garage until I get an outside space cleared with snow, we have been cleaning the coop regularly.

Is it normal for the hens to be afraid to hop down to the bottom of the coop, or do they just need a few day adjustment period to get used to their new home?

Thanks

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    As a general rule, chickens do not like change. While some are a lot more curious and bolder than others, it is pretty normal for them to take a few days to get used to something different. Be patient.

3. bren0990

Jan 19, 2015
    Ok, thanks, is it a good idea to keep them "cooped up" for a day just to get them used to the new house?

4. bren0990

Jan 19, 2015
    My biggest concern is that they wont get enough to eat or drink. I put their water in their house and put extra food in as well, I just would have expected them to hop down and dig into the big feeder.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It's usually a good idea to leave them locked in the coop for a few days so they get used to it as home. Otherwise they may take off looking for their old home if they can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by