New chickens have stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by poundridge-chicken, Jul 27, 2011.

1. poundridge-chicken

poundridge-chicken New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    Hello backyard chickens. This is officially my first post!

I have 4 chickens. 2 of which I've had for over a year, and the other 2 introduced to 'the flock' as of this April. The 2 new chickens had a hard time adjusting and got picked on quite a bit. Things have settled down considerably but it's still clear that they're at the bottom of the pecking order.

For a while all 4 were regularly laying eggs - the 2 new chickens often times keeping to themselves though.

Within the past month, they have really been secluding themselves and have all-together STOPPED laying. I added a 30 x 30 foot extension to the coop about 10 days ago - hoping this would help things. They are out and about a bit more - but still no eggs. I understand 10 days is not much time to see results. My guess is that they are stressed out. Bertha (the B*%*$ as i now call her) pecks at them quite a bit! On top of it all...I think they're beginning to molt! This seems to have started well after the egg laying stopped though - so Im not sure it's the culprit.

Any advice? I've read through a lot of the posts and know food and environment and water all play a big role. I'm pretty sure those food and water are not the problem. Also did a de-wormer about 2 weeks ago (Flubenvet), although they have not been showing an peculiar symptoms.

Thanks in advance!

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    [​IMG] Officially! It could be a heat thing and/ or they may be getting ready to molt.

3. Mtn Margie

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Adding more...., I think you are on the right track with the stress being an issue as well. As long as they are eating, drinking and have the oyster shell free choice, I would give them more time.

4. poundridge-chicken

Jul 27, 2011
    They are eating - but are not quite full size. And of course now that they are starting to molt - they're looking shabby and a bit smaller. I'll give it time though.

5. Mtn Margie

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Another idea is the nest box area. How many do you have and would the new hens feel safe using them or feel trapped somehow?

6. poundridge-chicken

Jul 27, 2011
    Hmmm...never thought of that. I have one nesting box. They were all laying for a good 2 months before this started so at one point in time they did feel safe in it. I suppose i could look into making another one as an option...

7. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I saw one website that lists molting as a cause for hens not laying.

8. poundridge-chicken

Jul 27, 2011
    Thanks, epeloquin. I suspect this a possible reason. But am not convinced [​IMG] The egg-laying stopped well before the feathers started dropping. Watching them every day and how they interact with each-other - Im leaning towards Bertha (the bully) as being the cause of a lot of stress - and resulting in them holding their eggs.

Other than increasing their space to roam around during the day, I wonder if there's anything I can do to help them get along better?

Thanks again!

-R

9. GoldenCometLady

GoldenCometLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Walker, West Virginia
    HI! I would put the bully in chicken jail for a couple of days.
    Then when you let her out she will be at the bottom of
    the pecking order. If you have a dog cage it works great
    of you can section of a part of the coop where she can't be
    with the other hens.

10. poundridge-chicken

Jul 27, 2011
    Does that really work!??! I am definitely willing to try it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by