New Chickens I bought today, swollen butt. Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thebyrdsx5, Mar 21, 2015.

1. thebyrdsx5

thebyrdsx5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    So I bought some bantam chicks today. One hen I noticed had blood on her butt and it was swollen. I researched here so I soaked her in the sink for about an hours. She fell asleep. I then rubbed the area with olive oil. Do you think this is a prolapse? What should i do next? I don't have a way to get ahold of the seller so I'm working with what i know, which is nothing! Thanks! The area feels soft except that dark spot is hard and like a plug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thebyrdsx5

Apr 1, 2009
    So more research, i'm thinking this is a prolapsed vent. My plan, tell me if this is wrong!, gently get the poop out, clean well, apply some preparation H. I'll post after pics tomorrow! NOT the pics I wanted to post first of my new bantam chickens! BTW she's a Red Pyle, I think. :)

3. WildfireSmitty

WildfireSmitty Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

Keep her off feed for a day or 2, apply antibiotics. Are you able to push the vent back in? With most livestock non severe prolapse's can be reset by pushing them back in multiple times.

To me, it looks like an infected prolapse.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  4. thebyrdsx5

Apr 1, 2009
    Ok, Thanks! No feed! Good advice! Yes it will go back in, just trying to get the poop out. It's so hard even after she soaked in the sink for an hour. I'm thinking it's more of a scab than poop.

5. WildfireSmitty

Yeah, it's kind of odd, you would see it more in a mature laying hen.

That scab could have been from getting pecked at.

6. thebyrdsx5

Apr 1, 2009
    OH Sorry! My mistake in my posting! She is a mature hen! I was so excited about them today and then scared when i saw this. I've had 4 backyard hens for about 4-5 years but that's it! We bought a pretty good collection of bantams today. My first bantam chickens ever! First problem I've ever had. Ive been lucky so far.

7. WildfireSmitty

Reduce her amount of light for the time being as well, just to discourage laying.

8. thebyrdsx5

Apr 1, 2009
    I put her in a dog carrier. Thanks so much for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by