New Chickens - I don't know what breeds they are?!?!?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sweetdenea, Aug 5, 2014.

1. sweetdenea

sweetdenea New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    I am a new backyard chicken owner and I bought (3) 1 year old chickens this weekend. They are very timid and skittish right now (it's only been 3 days). Do you know what breeds they are and also how long does it take for chickens to warm up to you? When I talk them now they no longer squawk, but still run away from me and my girls. We have been spoiling them with treats, which has made them happy.

[​IMG]

They have not laid eggs for us yet, they all 3 have lots of bare skin on their backs. I think they were abused by other chickens and possibly the previous owner...

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG].
    Glad youi joined our flock!
    The black one may be a Black Australorp.

3. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Hi, bare skin on their backs could be from an overly aggressive rooster or too many roosters and not enough hens. The being skittish may also be because of the rooster they were with. I have rescued many chickens, some take longer than others to come around but they all do eventually. Just keep with the treats and the long talks they will start to warm up to you. As for breeds I'd guess orphinton cross or production reds cross, it's only a guess. Best of luck with your girls. :D

4. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Oops sorry, welcome to BYC you will find more information than needed about anything chicken here. Make yourself at home and enjoy your stay...:)

5. sweetdenea

sweetdenea New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Thanks! The black one does have a copperish color in the front. I was maybe guessing Black Copper Maran? Not sure... she is crazy! Over stimulated for sure. The reddish one totally rules the roost though.

6. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    The light one on the left could be a Swedish flower hen.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

They look like mixed breed birds. Leg color, feather color and combs don't match up well to a specific breed. Mutts are great in the backyard, though!

Lack of feathers isn't from abuse, it's a pretty normal thing when a rooster mates a hen too much. It can also be from molting (although that involves the neck a lot, also) or mites, so you might want to check them over well for bugs or nits.

None of them have a nice plump comb....this time of year, that, combined with the feather loss, leads me to think molting. They may be out of production for a while until they re-grow feathers.

8. MidnightMaran

MidnightMaran Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2017
    Oklahoma
    not a BCM, maybe a mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by