New chickens.... I think they are roos....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newTexan2chickens, Jun 29, 2010.

1. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    I have 4 new chicks that I think are about 4wks... maybe 5. They are complete mutts likely but any guesses would be appreciated. In the photos they are mixed in with my buff pullets that are the same age. I have heard the white one and the black/brown one crow/sound like they are being strangled... Do they crow at 4-5 wks?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    They look like Roos to me...

3. newTexan2chickens

Jun 15, 2010
    Dang I was sort of hoping the grey was not..... And I made a mistake... it is the black one and the white one I heard crowing. Last night the black one was being so mean to my BO I put him in time out over night. I hope he is a nicer chicken today!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    3 Roos,

5. newTexan2chickens

Jun 15, 2010
    Zahboo... which one isn't a roo?

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Quote:My bad, four. The black one wasn't in one of the pictures when I counted. All of them are except the buffs. Sorry for the screw up.

7. newTexan2chickens

Jun 15, 2010
    Dang... got my hopes up! Any chance the owner of said chicks when she sent them to me last week had no clue they were roos.... she knew I wanted hens!

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    With combs like that? In my opinion she had to know if she's raised chicks before.

9. newTexan2chickens

Jun 15, 2010
    That is what I thought too.... I took one look at them when I opened the cage and thought these all look like roos. And I am brand new to chickens!

10. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'd call her. If you paid pullet price for obvious roos you got ripped. I'd let it be known I didn't appreciate it if I were in that situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by