1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chickens idk if there I'll

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mattsiewrt94, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    I got 5 chickens some chicks some older I can't tell the age of them if there's any way to tell but 2 of them are acting a bit funny I don't know if it's from the move but one of the copper maran chick it has all it's feathers but it's was tired this morning I did get it home late and it will eat if I bring it to him and water but it's just wanted to sleep and the white leghorn if it's even that is real tiny it's not peeping like a chick it has white ears and the scales on the legs look like there coming off his feathers are clean looks nice idk and idk if it's a jersey giant but it's huge and white I thought it was a rooster at first looking at it but it was a hen if anyone wants my number I can send a picture I can't post them up here I need more post but someone please help and I'll send you pictures close up from the problems I see and if anyone could help me tell age

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Did they all come from the same place? You should be able to post pictures after 10 posts I believe. The scale thing sounds like scaly leg mites. If they have mites they may have lice as well. I would dust the birds with poultry dust (TSC) or sevin 5% (walmart) and retreat in 7-10 days for any eggs. The mites would need to be covered in some sort of oil or Vaseline for a couple of days and then retreat in 7 days. You want to start at the top of the scales and work your way down so that the mites have nowhere to run to. It is also very important to treat the roosts at the same time.

3. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Yeah they all came from the same place the other don't have nothing wrongs legs are clean and everything but it's just that one I talked to the man so I'm gonna bring the two back and pick out different one and in gonna actually observe then before I say yes and what kind of medicine do I get for mites ? Just in case for future preferences

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    If one had it then it will hide in the roost and move to another. It takes a long while to get looking bad so you want to treat everyone anyway. The best way to kill mites is to smother them, the thicker the oil the better. No medicine required on that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by