New chickens in coop help please

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by averycatherwood, Dec 6, 2013.

1. averycatherwood

averycatherwood Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2013
    Concord, North Carolina
    My mom and I today went and picked up two Rhode Island Reds and two Plymouth Rocks. I'm a little bit worried about them because they seemed really freaked out when we first put them into the coop. They all curled up in one corner and huddle with each other. Only one of the Rhode Island Reds was curious enough to wander around the run and coop a little bit. Is this normal for new chickens? This is our first time raising chickens and I might just be worrying for no reason. It seemed as if the guy we got them from lied to us about the condition of his farm and he was quite rough with them. What should I do? they're about a year old

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its pretty normal for new chickens to act skittish or frightened of their new home. Whenever I introduce birds into the flock, its takes them a couple of days to get used to the new enviroment. I'd just make sure that they know where the feed and water is. It might be a good idea to check them for mites and lice, as if they are from a questionable farm, they could have some parasites. Watch them carefully for the next few days, in case they show any signs of chickens.

Good luck with your birds!

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

They very likely just need some time to adjust to their new home.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, they are scared, it will take them a little while to get used to their new home. Like Wyandottes7 said, check them over for parasites and keep an eye on them that they are all eating and drinking and acting OK and going back in the coop at night.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]Happy you joined us! And Merry Christmas!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Chickens hate change. Move slowly around them and get them to associate you with feed. They will come around.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome!

9. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    Welcome!

It is pretty normal, just check their health once they have settled down. Soon you'll be entertained with their antics to no end!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by