1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chickens in new coop not going upstairs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shalimarfarm, Apr 14, 2012.

1. shalimarfarm

shalimarfarm New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    I just got my first 2 chickens in my backyard. Put them in our coop but our 2 girls don't seem to be using the ramp to go up in the coop to the roosting bars and the nesting boxes? Do I need to physically put them up there at night to roost etc? Or will they eventually find there way? It seems they have no idea to use the ramp to go upstairs in the coop????

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    This is a pretty common problem, they just need a bit of prodding to begin with. we had to physically show our chickens where to go for a few nights before they got the hang of roosting on their own. Good luck, and enjoy your chickens! :)

3. Oakrosemama

Oakrosemama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    the same thing happened to me. the first couple of nights we had to catch them and put them in the coop. they finally got it! one problem..it rained really hard one day and the noise on the roof (metal) i believe scared them out into the rain and they wouldn't go back up. i had to wait for it to lessen and go towel them off and put them in. they were soaked! learned my lesson--if its going to pour, maybe I should lock up the chickens. just in case. :)

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Keep them closed inside of the coop for at least 3 or 4 days until they have become use to it, and will return there on their own.

5. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

They'll probably figure it out soon. Chickens never seem to use the right things. Mine always sleep in the nesting boxes. [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

6. sharonlacouture

sharonlacouture Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    My chickens did the same thing, they wouldn't roost. They would sleep in a cluster on the floor of the coop. With a little prodding [meaning physically picking up one or two and putting them on the roost] they eventually got the idea.

I had the same issue with the nesting/egg boxes. I had to physically put them in the box, eventually they figured it out. Although they prefer to use one or two of the five boxes available...but that makes it easier on me, all my eggs are in one place.

They still prefer to sleep in a cluster on the floor. But they are warm and dry and safe and happy... so I let them be.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck. :thumbsup

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by