New Chickens in Quarantine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leo1, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Leo1

Leo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    I brought home 3 light brahma pullets 2 days ago (5 months old). One of them is very little with white skin, which I thought was a bit weird. Her behavior is a little off though. I need opinions. I'm hoping it's just stress. When she isn't eating she is usually puffed up like she's cold, but it's no colder here than where she came from. She's also been almost falling asleep during the day when outside. She's eating fine and seems to be drinking OK as well. The other two seem fine and the rest of the flock they came from seemed healthy. What do you all think? I will try and get a pic.

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Is she in the penguin stance? She could have just started to lay and became eggbound.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:She could possibly be eggbound, or have lice/mites, or cocci, or worms...or have any combination of these or all of them. Arnt you glad you have them in quarantine for you to inspect, or treat, or cull?

4. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    I forgot to mention she's making rather rapid noises that sound a bit like chirping. Here are some pics as well. They don't show her stance very well, but they were the best I could get.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    I was suspicious of cocci so I started them on sulmet yesterday.
    How big are chicken lice and mites? Are they easy to spot?
    I don't think she's eggbound; she's pretty young and the woman didn't say she was laying.
    Any recommendations for worming? I'm trying to be as organic as possible.
    Anyone have any thoughts on the white feet and skin?

6. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    The white skin could just be from the lack of calcium, are you using a layers feed? They really need that.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Here's a couple of links for lice/mites:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
    White feet and skin could be genetic. If the sulmet doesnt work after full treatment in the allotted time, use corid (amprolium.)
    If you decide to worm, wait about a week after treating for cocci. Then worm all your new birds at once with either safeguard liquid goat wormer or valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by