New chickens introduced into flock -help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hbchicknmama, Jun 12, 2016.

1. hbchicknmama

hbchicknmama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2015
    Huntington Beach, CA
    We introduced our new chickens (3 of the between 8-10 weeks) officially into our existing flock of 2 hens who are 1 year old. We had them in the run in a safe container and this was the fist day we let them out. One of the hens was especially pecky and the babies pretty much hid all afternoon behind the coop in a space where they were safe. Now it's nighttime and I'm worried about them going inside the coop. The littles haven't even been inside the coop and I'm worried about a. Getting them inside and b. How the hens will act. Should I bring them back inside for the night or just let whatever happens happens and get them in he coop somehow?

2. Junglefowlboss

Junglefowlboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2016
    Mableton,GA
    You should see how the others react to the chicks and if they get alittle aggresive take them out. Help the chicks get in like making a ramp but it really depends where the chicken will sleep and how the coop is arranged.

3. Mr BrahmaRama

Mr BrahmaRama Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    Dubuque, Iowa
    My Coop
    It's unlikely any fighting will happen at night. Chickens have terrible night vision. Just be sure to let them back out at first light, if they don't have a place to hide in the coop.

4. hbchicknmama

Apr 28, 2015
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I had to put the little ones inside once the bigs went in. They had no clue where to go or how to get in. It's quiet in there now so I'm crossing my fingers it stays that way until morning! Do you suggest putting a little water and food inside overnight? Or are they fine until morning?

5. Junglefowlboss

Jun 8, 2016
    Mableton,GA
    They should be just fine.[​IMG]

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

They won't need food and water.

[​IMG] Hang in there, it's nerve racking.

7. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Sounds like you're doing everything correct! I generally wait for birds to be close to equal size before integration to avoid any type of physical advantage for one bird over another, but they should get used to the birds pretty soon. I integrated 9 birds into a flock of 5 so it was much easier because there was more bullying to go around.

Best of luck!

8. hbchicknmama

Apr 28, 2015
    Huntington Beach, CA
    If the little ones had more space I would have waited but they were starting to try and fly in the brooder and there was definitely not room for that! Lol. Thanks everyone!!!

9. hbchicknmama

Apr 28, 2015
    Huntington Beach, CA
    So the last two nights the littles have had to be coaxed to go inside with the bigs (that's what I call them), they are fine overnight, and then they hesitate coming out in the morning. Silly chicks. How long does it usually take for the bigger ones to accept the smaller chickens? The clucking screech when she pecks at the little ones is ripping my heart out :(

10. Junglefowlboss

Jun 8, 2016
    Mableton,GA
    It usually takes maybe a week but if you are really lucky maybe a couple days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by