New Chickens, new coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3arrowfarm, Mar 2, 2015.

1. 3arrowfarm

3arrowfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    Hillsboro IN
    Chickens are coming soon and my intent is to let them free range and close them off at night in the coop. but should i leave them in the coop for a while at first, and what next? just jump straight into free ranging? or should i yard them off first?

Thanks!

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    [​IMG]

I think the general thought is to keep them in the coop for a few days to make sure they know where "home" is as opposed to some enticing bush or tree near by. Then you should be able to free range them. Just be aware of what predators you might have that could prey on them and realize that you could have some losses.

personally, I would want to be home with them on the first day that you let them free range, just to observe and locate any potential hazards as well as enjoy the "chicken TV."

Are you getting full grown birds to start with?

3. 3arrowfarm

3arrowfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    Hillsboro IN
    Yep I am getting 2-3 month old birds. So it will be a lot easier to get this off the ground lol thanks for the info!

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Congrats, good luck, and welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I kept mine in the pen until they were big enough to be let out. First time I let them out it was about 30 minutes before their normal night roosting time. They wanted to stay close to the coop. It was easy to get them to go back in when their time was up. After a few days I let them out a couple hours before roosting time and they all returned to the coop on time without me having to coax them in. After that I felt fairly comfortable letting them out for the day. For awhile I would put them back in the pen if we were going to be gone for awhile. Soon that didn't seem necessary. One step at a time worked well for me.

1 person likes this.
  6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When chickens, no matter the age, have been cooped and penned up for a reasonable period prior to letting them out to free-range, it's always been my experience, too, that when finally let out, they range very cautiously at first, sticking very close to their run for safety, ready to duck back inside at the first sign of "danger". They always come back to roost in the coop at dusk, having imprinted on it as "home".

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by