New chickens- new diseases??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HamonyFarmHens, Nov 17, 2014.

1. HamonyFarmHens

HamonyFarmHens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    Hi,
    We bought five new RIR hens yesterday and they're in pretty rough shape. They were very timid at first, but I can already see how sweet they're going to be- they've started to take food from my hands, untie my shoes, and come towards me rather than away. Anyway to get back on point, here is some backround on them;
    • lived in one of those dog kennels with cement flooring and only 2 nesting boxes for 50+ hens
    •ONE feeder and ONE waterer for 50+chickens
    •no shavings
    •their only shelter was a small patch of tarp covering part of the dog kennel
    • no access to greens/FOOD because they weren't free range and couldn't all access the feeder
    •beaks were clipped REALLY short (on some of them anyways)
    So to sum that up, they have lost lots of feathers, are super-thin, overgrown toenails ( so they walk weird), rashes on their bellies from sleeping in feces (hence soiling their feathers even more), pale combs (whitish-pink), and clipped beaks (hard for them to eat). Right when they came home I got some warm water and a towel and cleaned off all their feet and bellies the best I could, and I'm thinking of trimming off all the nasty crusty feathers on their bellies, is that a good idea? Also, one of the chickens has a beak that is almost normal, does that mean it grew back and could the other chickens beaks grow back in that case too? Their feathers look patchy and kind of like they were munched on.. Would that be from hens picking on them or because of mites or other pests? I have them quarantined in their own stall away from my other chickens so as not to spread anything they might have. I've been feeding them all the veggies I can, including some grass and clover, oats and pasta. Is it ok to pack in all this nutrients so quickly? I also feed them layer pellets. Between the five of them I gathered 3 eggs, most were discolored and kind of flat. Any advice as to what else I should be giving them? I want to get these sweeties healthy!

2. HamonyFarmHens

Nov 13, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Those hens must think they died and gone to heaven!!!! POOR things. I understand you have other chickens? I would keep the 5 separate for a month or so.

I would let them have free access to the pellets. And clean water. I would worm them with safeguard , .5 ml per day for 5 days. They make it for goats. I usually soak the dose in a piece of bread and dose each chicken with the bread. I personally would do a 2nd course maybe a month-6weeks later. Just because they have lots of them. AND dust them with Sevin or Poultry dust for bugs.

I would not add anything to their water or food. You can trim their nails, and bathe them, or snip the dirty feathers off if they don't need them to stay warm. With the dubbed beaks, I think crumbles is easiest for them to eat. Make sure it's deep enough. Make sure the water is deep too.

My dubbed hen was always the cleanest hen, I don't know how, LOL. She did fine and we never told her she was different, and she never knew. And she was the alpha hen. Go figure.

Like you said about not loading them with nutrition right away. The crumbles should be fine, and maybe when they start to look better, you could do some vitamins if they need it.

I hope you can give them a nice sized area to stay in. They will be so happy. Oh yea, some oystershell.

4. HamonyFarmHens

Nov 13, 2014
    Thank you for the advice! I have them in their own pen now, so I think I'll snip their nails and feathers and see how it goes. I'm giving them warm water because it's chilly outside where I live, is it still ok to clip their feathers in that case?

5. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    I would be tempted to just leave the feathers for right now. You can always clip them later if you really need to. Obviously ,if nasty features are covering a wound, or the rash is not healing, you will need to clip.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have cut a path downward just enough to not catch poop that slides down.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by