1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chickens, new surroundings

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grampsjim, Feb 7, 2014.

1. grampsjim

grampsjim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Ardmore, Oklahoma
    I am very new to raising chickens. We had them when I was a kid at home and they were the truest of free range with a coop and run at night if someone remembered to put them up.
    My hubby and I just bought 2 full grown australorps and 2 full grown white laced wyandots along with 6 pullets. I know the pullets are still too young to start laying but the grown ups where laying in their previous home.
    My question is how long will it take the hens to adjust and starting laying? It is rather cold here for SE Okla.
    They have a nice home made coop and safe run...

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Could take as long as a couple of months. If they are not laying by April, I'd be worried, otherwise, all in due time! It could be tomorrow! Be patient.

Welcome to BYC!

3. kingfrodo

kingfrodo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2013
    Enterprise, AL
    when I first started I bought four pullets that were recently started laying. it only took three days for my first egg. Like Wisher said it could be tomorrow or a month from now.

[​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    When I got my 18 month old layers they laid within 24 hours, they were encouraged by their rooster who checked out the nests and called to them...but your mileage may vary.

Just keep them cooped up until they home in on their new coop and nests. Maybe put a few golf balls in the nests to show them where.

1 person likes this.
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It may take a while. They probably have been molting, and this process can take a while. They replace their feathers, then they have to get their body weight back up before they can start laying again. I still have quite a few hens that haven't started back up from molting. Plus, you moved them to new surroundings. Be patient and give them the time they need, then they will lay some nice eggs for you. You can help them by giving them extra protein - meat scraps, mealworms, tuna, etc.

6. grampsjim

grampsjim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Ardmore, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info! I actually never thought to ask how old the adults were until today. They are around 1 to 1 1/2 years old. The pullets are just about 2-3 months. My hubby and I are completely crazy waiting for that first egg! I can hardly stand to eat the store bought ones, even the ones labeled "cage free" or "free range". They are just not the same as "home grown".

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by