New Chickens- new to chickens-just brought them home!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LLB66, Dec 11, 2011.

1. LLB66

LLB66 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2011
    New Douglas IL
    We just bought and brought 44 birds to our home, we already realize that the coop and run need to be modified and extended(hoping to get that somewhat accomplished today). Here is the question. How long do we need to wait before we let them free range? Ages (from what we can tell) range from 4 months to about 2 years, and we have at least 4 veteran roos.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    [​IMG]

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I would keep them locked up at least 2 weeks so they know where home is.
    Welcome to BYC!
    New chickens are the best! Congratulations!!!

4. Egiroux

Egiroux Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Durham, ME
    wow, that's quite a big flock to start. good luck. I thought 4 was a handful. welcome to a great site.

5. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    with that many birds I would wait for at least 4 days......and if you let them free range make sure to whatch for hawks, foxes and other day predaters. 44 chickens running around is basicly heaven for them.

6. LLB66

LLB66 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2011
    New Douglas IL
    Thanks for all the Welcomes, we didnt intend to start out with that many birds, it was a take it or leave situation. I think a few of our concerns are shock from travel wearing down, we have an inkling that it has been sometime since they have had enough space to forage and health.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi llb66, and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Before I let birds free range I get them trained to come running when I shake the grain can. This is really helpful if you need to round them up, and also teaches them that you are the Bearer of Good Things.

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    That is a huge beginning for being new! Have patience!

With stress from the move they have to become comfortable with the new home. So keep them locked up in the coop and run area for a bit. I would go longer then 4 days since they are going to be very sparce with laying until they get used to be there. You need them to know where their safety (home) is and where you want them to lay their eggs before you let them roam, otherwise its going to be an easter egg hunt all over your property... and they may wonder a lot further then you are ready to let them go. They may not all return. I think 4 weeks is really good to make sure they lay where you want and come back to where you want.

Good advice watching out for day predators as well, hawks, fox, dogs ect.

But congrats! and [​IMG]

... you've come to the right place! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by