New Chickens- new to chickens-just brought them home!

LLB66

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 9, 2011
New Douglas IL
We just bought and brought 44 birds to our home, we already realize that the coop and run need to be modified and extended(hoping to get that somewhat accomplished today). Here is the question. How long do we need to wait before we let them free range? Ages (from what we can tell) range from 4 months to about 2 years, and we have at least 4 veteran roos.

Thanks in advance for any help!

welcome-byc.gif

I would keep them locked up at least 2 weeks so they know where home is.
Welcome to BYC!
New chickens are the best! Congratulations!!!

with that many birds I would wait for at least 4 days......and if you let them free range make sure to whatch for hawks, foxes and other day predaters. 44 chickens running around is basicly heaven for them.

Thanks for all the Welcomes, we didnt intend to start out with that many birds, it was a take it or leave situation. I think a few of our concerns are shock from travel wearing down, we have an inkling that it has been sometime since they have had enough space to forage and health.

Hi llb66, and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
frow.gif

Before I let birds free range I get them trained to come running when I shake the grain can. This is really helpful if you need to round them up, and also teaches them that you are the Bearer of Good Things.

That is a huge beginning for being new! Have patience!

With stress from the move they have to become comfortable with the new home. So keep them locked up in the coop and run area for a bit. I would go longer then 4 days since they are going to be very sparce with laying until they get used to be there. You need them to know where their safety (home) is and where you want them to lay their eggs before you let them roam, otherwise its going to be an easter egg hunt all over your property... and they may wonder a lot further then you are ready to let them go. They may not all return. I think 4 weeks is really good to make sure they lay where you want and come back to where you want.

Good advice watching out for day predators as well, hawks, fox, dogs ect.

But congrats! and
welcome-byc.gif

... you've come to the right place!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom