New chickens - not very active - green droppings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shmccarthy, Mar 11, 2014.

1. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    2 days ago, I bought a pair of champagne colored silkies. They were five months old according to the seller and one is a pullet and the other is a cockerel. I got them settled in to their coop on Sunday, and notice they haven't really moved around much. They have the coop completely to themselves, and it's a brand new coop and run. They aren't lethargic, it just seems they don't want to walk anywhere. They can walk, but it seems they're choosing not to.
    I've had to take them out of the coop and put them in the run where the food and water is. They walk over to the food and water but sit around the run all day. I've also had to put them in the coop at night, because they were still just sitting there even when it got dark.
    They're roosting at night just fine and eating and drinking when I put them near the food, but they won't physically walk anywhere! They can move their legs and aren't showing any signs of physical inability. They both talk and make noises, the rooster hasn't crowed at all, and they protest when being picked up. So they seem to be "all there" I'm just perplexed with them not wanting to walk around much.
    This morning, I noticed bright green droppings in the coop and run. Does this mean worms? Could this be why they almost seem "lazy"?

2. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    The green poo
    It was in the run, and it rained a bit last night so it could be why they're so watery looking. The rest of the droppings look normal except some have a very very slight green tint or small green chunks in them.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I believe the starve-color is even more green and bright, and on the watery side, not formed.
    From what I've seen on my silkies, they do not wander. If I pick one up and put it down, I can come back in an hour and it will still be there. If I move feed bowls, it takes a while to find them, LOL. If they are eating and drinking, it's good. Your female may be broody and the male staying close by. Or they are not sure of their new environment yet. I would offer them a bowl of feed mush, or some small pieces of bread. It might help them trust their surroundings.

I usually do also give them a hair cut around their eyes so they can see much better. It helps them be more secure. Silkies are just not very active birds.

4. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Thanks! They sure are an interesting duo. We've already fallen in love with them, I mean how could you resist this face?
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping there isn't anything wrong, they just kinda like to stay put it seems. It's a completely different setup than what they're used to, so that could be it. The pullet is only 5 months old and her pelvic bones are just under 2 finger widths apart, I don't think she has laid yet.
    The male doesn't look very boyish yet but I think he just hasn't had his hormones kick in yet. [​IMG]

I gave them both a trim, so I can see their eyes now. Hopefully that helps out a bit. Thanks for your help. :)

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Cute silkies. My silkies never left the coop much, and were the more inactive group in the flock. I would put the feed and water or another set inside the coop for a week, and lock them up. That will show them where home is and where there are supposed to sleep at night. After the week is up, open the door to the run. I think they will move around more once they are comfortable, but they should come inside at night after that.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    What face?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Green poop can be a sign of worms. Give them 1/4cc liquid valbazen or liquid safeguard orally and redose again in 10 days. Inspect them for lice/mites as well.

1 person likes this.
  8. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Do you know if that's available at tractor supply? I don't get paid until tomorrow but I can stop there tomorrow after work and pick it up. If not I'll have to order it. There's only a tractor supply around here.

They don't really want to come out today it seems. We got about 4" of snow last night and it's still coming...ugh... I moved their food and water into the coop.
    [​IMG]

This is as far out as they would come..haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by