new chickens old flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cntrygrl10, Jul 24, 2010.

1. cntrygrl10

cntrygrl10 New Egg

Jan 29, 2010
    Ohio
    I got 6 new laying hens today and am seeking advise for how to introduce them to the 3 roosters and 6 hens I already have. I put the newbies in the coop and the other 9 are free range till dark then they go in coop. So first introduction will be in the coop at bedtime. They have been able to check each other out through the wire today and the rooster seems pretty interested in who they are. thoughts?

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

You should have the new hens in quarantine for up to 30 days to make sure that they are not carriers of some disease that could infect your flock. Just because they look healthy doesn't mean that they are. They could be carriers of a disease that your birds have not built an immunity to.
    With that said, we have any new birds in a transition pen that is to the side of our main pen. There is only a run of chicken wire seperating the old from the new. This way they can get used to each other without a bunch of pecking and fighting. After a few days, the old birds loose interest in the new birds and they can be transitioned into the same pen. Works great with a lot less hassles.

3. ellend

ellend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    cleveland, ohio
    Also, putting them together at late evening or night, and letting them out together early in the morning, will decrease stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by