new chickens pecked until bleeding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by backdoorchicken, Dec 5, 2010.

1. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    we are in the process of adding three 6month old silkies into a flock of five 2 year old EEs. they are only together during the day and are separated at night. today the lowest of the pecking in the established flock was pecking and stomping the silkies and made one bleed on the back of the head. will this ever stop or will the EEs continue? do i need to just keep the separated forever?

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    You should separate the new ones in a dog crate or carrier so the others can get get used to them, but not do any damage to them.

3. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    for how long?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    As long as you can -- a month is good.

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:I agree, this should give them all plenty of time to settle down, but it doesn't always take this long [​IMG]

6. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    well lucky for us we are almost done building a new coop on the other side of the run from the old coop. i can separate the run down the middle. and the silkies can live in the new coop until the others get use to them. will that work?

7. Pastor Mike

Pastor Mike Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Redmond Oregon
    Sounds like a good idea to seperate for a month. But do allow them to see each other to get them acquainted.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It may work, and then again it may not. Depends entirely on the nature of the birds involved. Chickens are brutal. Think teen age high school girls. They need a target, and silkies with their topknots and mellow personalities are frequently picked upon unless raised with the other birds. I think in chicken nature it goes: "They look different; therefore, they dont belong. Let's kick their butts." Good luck on the integration, but monitor it closely.

9. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    it was mostly the one EE that was doing the pecking. and this certain EE is the one usually pecked by the other EEs.

my gf is giving the silkie a bath right now and the silkie is loving it. we may just end up dividing the run forever and getting more silkies to fill the new coop. lol. these silkies are the best chickens ever. so sweet and lovable. if angels were chickens they would be silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by