New chickens stupid chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mikesell, Dec 8, 2018 at 12:03 AM.

1. Mikesell

Mikesell Hatching

Friday
    I started my new flock this year in spring and all was good until the weather changed .. I know that a upset chicken trys to not lay eggs ,this I know from previous flocks. So my answer for this is hot /warm water which I called tea ladies love the tea so when I took the tea Outback to give it to them one in particular chicken stuck it's stupid head under the running hot /warm water now she's sneezing "stupid chicken"so I found this place and got some answers about what to do.. thanks . I sure hope that this cold that this particular "stupid chicken "has given to herself doesnt wind up killing all my chickens. I had to replace my last flock after my Neighbor decided he didn't like them and rather than fix the spot in the chicken fence that allowed them into his yard he trapped them in his yard and killed them all. .. real nice neighbor .. ok well thats my introduction . I look forward to sharing and getting knowledge . Happy holidays you all...

rjohns39, 007Sean, alexa009 and 7 others like this.
  2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Do you think that you bird simply has water in her nares (holes in beak)? I guess if its been going on for a few days then that's not the issue. If she does have some kind of infectious bronchitis then I'd be inclined to suggest that it was not the water issue that caused it, but merely precipitated the exhibition of symptoms. Either way, you could post your question here:

Please read first

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/have-an-emergency-disease-please-read-first.3569/

Then post here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Good luck

rjohns39, 007Sean, alexa009 and 9 others like this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome:frow

rjohns39, 007Sean, alexa009 and 6 others like this.
  4. N F C

N F C no time like snow time

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hope all is well for your flock, thanks for joining us!

rjohns39, 007Sean, alexa009 and 7 others like this.
  5. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Happy Holidays to all my BYC Peeps!

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :frow Best of luck with your flock!

6. DobieLover

DobieLover Free Ranging

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Hope your stupid chicken gets better!

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Quail Hatch TBD

Welcome to BYC!
    :yesss:We are glad you joined our flock!
    This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops
    BYC has an APP

rjohns39, 007Sean, DobieLover and 6 others like this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Great links and advice provided by @Pork Pie. Hopefully you have repaired and strengthened your chicken fence.

9. FlappyFeathers

FlappyFeathers Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    BYC-backyard-fence 3.png
    There can be be MANY possible reasons that a chicken will not lay eggs. Being upset is only one reason. What made her upset? Cold weather wouldn't make her stop laying... but the shorter days could. How old is your hen? If older than a year, she could just be slowing down or stopping egg production for the winter... a perfectly normal thing to happen while she molts and takes time to replenish her body and store energy to survive the winter. Some people add supplemental light, but it has to be done correctly otherwise you risk just making your chickens neurotic or just starting a fire.
    Supplemental Light in the Chicken Coop: Why and How
    Dangers of Supplemental Coop Light

Other possibilities for not laying eggs include: not enough protein or calcium in their diet, she's broody and only wants to sit on eggs (not lay them), dehydration (frozen water), being bullied, being overbred by a rooster, old age, stressed about changes or different flock members, egg bound or has egg peritonitis, has an illness or parasites.

If your hen is showing signs of being sick, you should separate her from the flock, otherwise she very well could make your entire flock sick too. Chickens aren't known for their intelligence, so maybe next time, you could avoid running the water in their presence, just bring out the full bucket. You just have to think ahead and try to outsmart the chickens.

I'm sorry to hear about your mean neighbor, maybe he thought you were the one who supposed to keep your birds locked in their side of the fence. It could just as easily have been a dog, raccoon or any other predator that came by and was happy to feast on your loose chickens. I know that if I ever had a hole in my fence and my chickens got out, I would thank my lucky stars if I ever actually got them back. (It happened once- lost one and got one back!)

I wish you better luck with your flock!

HappyHolidays.gif

10. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi & :welcome

Glad you could join us all here! Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: