New Chickens-Texas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BlessedLucFarm4, Oct 4, 2013.

1. BlessedLucFarm4

BlessedLucFarm4 New Egg

Sep 27, 2013
    Trenton, TX
    I never raised chicks before and I just purchased 10 pullets (5 barred rocks/5 rhode island reds) I them in a medium rectangular bin with a water bucket, there food and a heating lamp. I think they are 2 weeks old, and I just got them wednesday and where we have them the do fly to the edge of the bin, and yesterday a few of them got out and flew back in. We are in the process of building their coop before its time for them to go outside.

My questions are:

when do I let them outside?
    now that we are in the fall how will they do when it gets cold or even snow?
    How will i know if there feather got thicker? Do they grow fast, where it is visible?
    I bought a 5lb feed from the store, is there an organic feed that I can give them?
    What a fruits/vegetable scraps?
    In the winter do their coop need to be insulated or what can I do to be sure that they are warm, when its cold/snow?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. artfrae

artfrae Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    i'm new to raising chickens as well, but I'll share with you the little knowledge I have:

The rule of thumb with the heating lamp, during the first week you keep them at a temp of 95, week 2 is 90, week 3 is 85, week 4 is 80. So you just decrease the temp by 5 degrees every week. Depending where in Texas you live (I'm from the valley), and what temperature it is outside will depend when you let them out. For the coop, you could just hang a heating lamp in there and I think they should be fine.

Normally at about a month old they can be outside. from what I can see with my chicks is that they're nearly feathered by weeks 4-6. If I were you, I'd just keep the heating lamp in the coop, and keep an eye on them. If they're at the edge of the coop, they're too hot. If they're near the lamp, they're cold. So just keep an eye on them. They'll let you know if they're cold or hot.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

5. BlessedLucFarm4

BlessedLucFarm4 New Egg

Sep 27, 2013
    Trenton, TX
    Thank you all for your responses and i will take it to note. It has helped me alot with this week carring for my chicks. I was nervous at first but with your responses I feel confident that i can do this. thanks again. I will post some updated pics in a couple of weeks so you can see how w/they are doing. Thanks again, I'm glad I joined this site. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by