New chickens to flock seem sick, now have cloudy pupil in left eye

pilatik

Chirping
May 24, 2015
I acquired two new belgian d'uccles (hen and rooster), who both seemed badly cared for and sick when they got here -- traveled from Oregon. Both have been quarantined from my existing flock since they got here.

Symptoms: Both seem pale, particularly the hen. I'm not clear whether they're lethargic or just don't know how to be a chicken. They eat and drink regularly but the rooster sits in the upper, darker coop area all day while the hen huddles under the ramp to the coop. I suspect a respiratory issue because her beak/nostrils seem wet and if I turn her over, for example to work on her feet, she seems almost to "drool" a little wet patch onto whatever her head is against. Both chickens have very long, damaged looking toenails and had patches of something (old food mash? skin?) clumped in a few spots on their toes. Today I went out and both iris on the left side seemed cloudy. I couldn't capture it in pictures but toward the top 1rd of the iris it looks broken, kind of like a crack in glass that doesn't go all the way through.

Both birds feel slightly but not terribly underweight and I have been told that they are 1.5 years old. No significant changes in behavior in the 1 week I've had them, except for the cloudy pupil today.

Treatment so far: Trimming back the toenails slowly, have removed the lumps/clumps I can from their toes. Treated with ivermectin pour-on (.5 ml) yesterday on their skin and put vaseline on their legs and toes in case of mites.

Is there any other care I should be offering? Does anybody know what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_20190724_160749.jpg
    IMG_20190724_160749.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20190724_160658.jpg
    IMG_20190724_160658.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20190724_160731.jpg
    IMG_20190724_160731.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 13
Poor thing...those nails are in bad shape.

Did these come in the mail to you?
Who did you buy them from?

Have you checked them well for lice and mites?

The nails -- I know. Both of them look like this. I've been trimming them back a little at a time and then waiting a few days to let the quick recede. Believe it or not this is already better than when I got them.

They came from a woman in Oregon via a Belgian d'uccles group on Facebook. She's supposedly focusing on a different breed. She said she drove down 15ish pairs into CA. I picked mine up at her friend's feed store so didn't see them until I picked them up. Kicking myself over that now.

I'm a little worried if it's contagious because of the number of birds she brought into the state and fact that I picked these guys up at a feed store. Do I need to worry about anything spreading?

I checked for lice and mites, didn't see any. Dosed them for ivermectin to be safe and because I'm fighting red mites in the other coop. Was going to dust everybody with DE as well.

The nails -- I know. Both of them look like this. I've been trimming them back a little at a time and then waiting a few days to let the quick recede. Believe it or not this is already better than when I got them.

They came from a woman in Oregon via a Belgian d'uccles group on Facebook. She's supposedly focusing on a different breed. She said she drove down 15ish pairs into CA. I picked mine up at her friend's feed store so didn't see them until I picked them up. Kicking myself over that now.

I'm a little worried if it's contagious because of the number of birds she brought into the state and fact that I picked these guys up at a feed store. Do I need to worry about anything spreading?

I checked for lice and mites, didn't see any. Dosed them for ivermectin to be safe and because I'm fighting red mites in the other coop. Was going to dust everybody with DE as well.
DE will do more harm than good.
Spray them and your coop with Permethrin instead.

Are you in California?

Have you already introduced these birds to your flock?

The beak could use a little trimming too.

Have you looked inside their beaks to make sure they are clear of mucous, canker, etc.?
Also check their crops to make sure those are empty in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom