New chickens today...I have a question. Somewhat urgent.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Suzannah, May 16, 2010.

1. Suzannah

Suzannah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Georgia
    Just got two Rhode Island whites (is this a real kind of chicken?), 3 months old, and I brought them home and put them in their new ark with open bottomw, food, water, lots of bugs and grass...and they aren't moving around. They pooped a bunch and haven't had any food or water or even left the covered area. There is a platform off the ground (only about four inches, tops) and about a three-inch gap before it's open space. There is a roosting pole that goes from the platform to the end of the ark (not my favorite, but that's how DH built it, so we'll see). Is it possible that the hole bugs them, or that they won't hop down? If that's so, what can I do between now and tomorrow morning?

2. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Probably just a little scared. Give them a little while to figure things out and they should be fine

3. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    it takes some time for them to get comfortable. is the food outside of the inner hen house? if it is in the bottom ad they are staying in the top make sure you show them where it is and then let them chill. they will wander as they get more comforatable. tomorrow you could move them to the bottom and then show them the top again at night. When i moved my girls outside they would not come out of the house to the run for two days. when they did i had to show them how to go inside about four days and now they go in ans out no problem. you might want to put some water and food where they are too if your concerned or if it is really hot. but give em time and show em where to go and they should be just fine!

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Yes, there are Rhode Island Whites. [​IMG]
    I bet they're justs tressed out and scared. [​IMG]

5. Suzannah

Apr 18, 2010
    Georgia
    Poor girls. They were so sweet in the car, and patient. They have been sticking right next to each other. If they don't drink tonight, will they be okay? Tomorrow I will put them down in the grass, and I think they will be so happy!! It is supposed to rain/storm a lot tomorrow, though, so I hope they will hop under shelter if it gets bad.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Just give them time to get used to their new home, they'll be ok. When they're hungry or thirsty enough, they'll eat and drink.

7. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

Where you have them in their new home may be vastly different then where they were used to and it is just a whole new world for them. I'd put food and water where they could reach it without moving if you could but that would be mostly to make you feel better. It may have happened...but I never heard of a chicken starving itself to death or dying of thirst if it could get to food and water. They'll adjust.

8. Suzannah

Apr 18, 2010
    Georgia
    The girls weathered the storm last night and were fine this morning, still in the upper part, but hanging out and seeming fine. If they aren't down below by the time I get home, I will move them, but trying to move them this morning seemed upsetting to them, so I left them alone.

I may sneak some treats to entice them to move; if you were a three-month old chicken, what would you L-O-V-E?

9. Debob

Debob Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    They are just stressed from the move,give them time. If anything move the water closer,food they can do without for a day or two,water is much more important.[​IMG]

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The all time favorite treat I've ever found for chickens is hulled sunflower seed. Everything else, they seem to have to take time to learn to eat and then it can become a favorite. The hulled sunflower seeds they seem to take to naturally. It is my ultimate bribe and training food. [​IMG]

I think it would also be good to talk very nicely to them. A lot of chickens, as well as other creatures, seem to like that. Soft talk, slow movements and good food seems to ease most creatures. I agree that water is more important than food, for survival. It might be a good idea to give them a little water where ever they are, even if you just briefly offer it and then take it out after they've had a drink, for now. They can drink out of a bowl just fine, it doesn't have to be a big poultry waterer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by