New Chickens tried to kill my young Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iluvmychickens, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    HELP- I have a young 4 month old rooster (he was suppossed to be a chicken) anyway, I got 2 1yr old hens today and when I put the hens with the rooster he immediatlety went after the hens. The one larger hen in turn ripped the throat out of my young rooster. Somebody please help. I am new to being a Chicken MAMA

Thanks,
    DeeDee Darveau

2. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Oh goodness. So sorry I am not much help here but someone else will be along soon to help.

I have older hens and will introduce new young ones soon. It makes me nervous.

3. missfitfarm

missfitfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    my hensalso do not like my rooster they have tried to kill him so i built him his own house and paired him with my bantum girl because she loves him my other hens free range all day and i cant let him because they chase him down so i gave him a friend and he is happy in the pen with her although at this time he is again alone because he was trying to get the new chicks the bantum hatched a few days ago i hope i can put him back in with her and the babies soon and i hope he dosnt try to hurt them ill let ya know

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Are you wanting help with the wound or what to do with your roo?

5. Iluvmychickens

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I need help with why the hens are trying to kill the young rooster.

6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    What? They really ripped his throat out!!! Am I reading this right?

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry your roo got hurt, I hope he'll be ok.

The roo & hens need to be penned separately but next to each other so they can get used to each other. Your hen is probably alpha in the flock she came from and is not about to make way for some young wippersnapper. And she is also very upset and stressed from being torn away from her home and put in totally new surroundings. So pen them next to each other or divide off part of the coop for him and just give them time. In a month or so when he has grown some and they are more used to him, to say nothing of giving him time to heal, then let them in together. They should be ok after that.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What becky said. They need time to get used to each other first. Then when you introduce them, they arent trying to kill him, they are showing him who is boss. They will have to figure it out among them selves so some fighting for a few days is normal. Good luck with your roo now.

9. Iluvmychickens

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thank you all so very much. All your comments were very helpful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by