1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chickens, weird spot on comb.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NataleeL, Nov 26, 2016.

1. NataleeL

NataleeL Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    utah
    So I have a friend who is moving to Germany and i offered to take in 4 of her hens. They are about 20 mths old.
    I have 5 hens already so I slowly introduced the flocks.
    My concern is one of the EE has a weird white patch on her comb. My friend said she has had it a long time and it had to do with calcium. But I can't find anything on it at all.
    She does also lay very long slender eggs that are covered with deposits so I wonder if it is a calcium issue? That's my first question.

Second. Het hens are fed the same diet as mine but they all seem so small and thin. Could it be because mine are free range and hers were kept in tight quarters? Will they bulk up or should I be concerned? I have searched their feathers for pests and didn't see anything at all.

Third, I'm concerned about another of the chickens, I'm attaching pictures but does she appear to be molting or should I be worried all around about the new flock staying with my original 5?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That spot on the comb could be a pecking wound or injury that is healing. It doesn't look like pox or favus to me. I would keep the new chickens quarantined from yours for at least 30 days to look for any symptoms of illness. Look for evidence of mites or lice on the skin, and perhaps worm them with something like Valbazen 1/2 ml orally to each chicken, then repeat in 10 days. Everyone has different ways of raising chickens, how much they feed, and what type of ranging they do. Hopefully, they will do better in your care.

3. NataleeL

NataleeL Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    utah
    Is there something I should try to help aid healing? She said the chicken has had it for quite a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by