New chickens -- when can I free range and egg laying

Mom3timz

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2018
Deep South
Hi all -- -

Brand new to this chicken thing. On Saturday we picked up a 'mobile' coup (I think you need to be the hulk to move it but husband is working on getting me a system in place for that with a hitch and the mower etc) and 5 EE. These chickens are 1.5 years old. The guy's kids raised them from day old and they've only known their coop and that one backyard. We put them in a dog crate to move and got them back in the coop ASAP once I had power washed it. (Honestly, could use more scrubbing but I'll leave it be for now!)

First day I got 3 eggs. I was honestly shocked anybody laid that day. Next day: 2 eggs. Today is looking like 1 (early in day, I know still time!) --

About how long would you think this kinda stress would get worked off and they'd be back to normal? Guys said he typically got 25 or more eggs a week.

Also, free ranging. I haven't let them free range yet as I'm concerned they won't come back to coop when sun goes down. We have a lot of coons and possums here in South Alabama. Not to mention a very large owl that visits now and again. If they free range I'd do in afternoon - supervised.

My plan was to start shaking a treat bag and doing that for a few days until they for sure associate the shaking bag with something they really want. (Guy said they were nuts for dried meal worms) First time I let them free range I was thinking maybe an hour before sunset or so. That seem logical? I'll always have someone out with them when they are in yard out of coop.

Congratulations on becoming a chicken parent!

You’ve clearly done your research and have some good plans in place with getting them used to your calling with mealworms and letting them out an hour before sunset. The only thing I’d add is to make sure they spend a good week or so roosting in their new coop so they see it as their home before you free range.

In my experience anything up to a couple of weeks and they should settle in, possibly sooner.

Best of luck.

Thank you!! I wasn't sure if I should do the week bit since it was the coop they'd lived in before (sorry didn't make that clear) but my instinct was to wait a good week and work on conditioning with treats and calling for now.

Appreciate that feedback!

Congratulations on becoming a chicken parent!

You’ve clearly done your research and have some good plans in place with getting them used to your calling with mealworms and letting them out an hour before sunset. The only thing I’d add is to make sure they spend a good week or so roosting in their new coop so they see it as their home before you free range.

In my experience anything up to a couple of weeks and they should settle in, possibly sooner.

Best of luck.

Thank you!! I wasn't sure if I should do the week bit since it was the coop they'd lived in before (sorry didn't make that clear) but my instinct was to wait a good week and work on conditioning with treats and calling for now.

Appreciate that feedback!
I didn’t realise it was their previous coop. It might still be a good idea to leave them in a few days to get familiar with their new surroundings. I moved my coop to a new, much bigger enclosure recently and two of the girls were trying to get back to where the coop used to be. I had to catch them and put them on the roost for the first two nights. Silly chickens! The others recognised as home without a problem though.

Hi all -- -

Brand new to this chicken thing. On Saturday we picked up a 'mobile' coup (I think you need to be the hulk to move it but husband is working on getting me a system in place for that with a hitch and the mower etc) and 5 EE. These chickens are 1.5 years old. The guy's kids raised them from day old and they've only known their coop and that one backyard. We put them in a dog crate to move and got them back in the coop ASAP once I had power washed it. (Honestly, could use more scrubbing but I'll leave it be for now!)

First day I got 3 eggs. I was honestly shocked anybody laid that day. Next day: 2 eggs. Today is looking like 1 (early in day, I know still time!) --

About how long would you think this kinda stress would get worked off and they'd be back to normal? Guys said he typically got 25 or more eggs a week.

Also, free ranging. I haven't let them free range yet as I'm concerned they won't come back to coop when sun goes down. We have a lot of coons and possums here in South Alabama. Not to mention a very large owl that visits now and again. If they free range I'd do in afternoon - supervised.

My plan was to start shaking a treat bag and doing that for a few days until they for sure associate the shaking bag with something they really want. (Guy said they were nuts for dried meal worms) First time I let them free range I was thinking maybe an hour before sunset or so. That seem logical? I'll always have someone out with them when they are in yard out of coop.

Congratulations! :)
Your chickens just moved so that's stressful (same as when we move) and they will lay more eggs once the stress has passed. Depending on the stress level and individual bird they can hold an egg in for a week in my experience.

Free ranging! All my birds free range and have for years. There is no coop, no doors, they come and go as the please. The barn is basically a giant coop. They WILL always come back before dark. My birds start heading back home on there own about 1-1.5 hours before dark. They know they will get eaten if the don't find safety (coop/barn) and they should roost up on something I prefer at least 4 ft off the ground. When i added a new young rooster i had to pick him up and move him a few times.. he got it eventually. Once you start the free ranging the birds will expect it out of habit. My birds know what time I'll be in the barn.. they come back from free ranging get breakfast or treats then will head back out. I also have racoons and opossums, but I keep 2 roosters handy as well. Since my birds free range constantly they need the protection when I'm not home. It's sad to say, but a roosters job Is to keep the ladies safe at all cost either they get injured or lay down their life. Doesn't happen often, but it happens that I'll lose a rooster - it's even more rare I lose a hen.

Since your birds are new and adjusting I would give them some time.. they just moved. Let them unpack their boxes lol.. I would keep them cooped for at least a month (that's just me personally) so they are 100% that this is home and here's food.

Regarding a call... my birds have a certain tune i whistle to them and they come running. It's come in very handy for feeding, finding them, and easing my worries to where exactly they are prior to me going to work. You can shake a treat bag they will come to that.. just be aware that if your bringing groceries in and the bags are shaking you may be bombarded with birds lol.

Last edited:
Cracking up about the groceries. Ha!!!!! Thanks for feedback. Really appreciate it. :)

Congratulations! :)
Your chickens just moved so that's stressful (same as when we move) and they will lay more eggs once the stress has passed. Depending on the stress level and individual bird they can hold an egg in for a week in my experience.

Free ranging! All my birds free range and have for years. There is no coop, no doors, they come and go as the please. The barn is basically a giant coop. They WILL always come back before dark. My birds start heading back home on there own about 1-1.5 hours before dark. They know they will get eaten if the don't find safety (coop/barn) and they should roost up on something I prefer at least 4 ft off the ground. When i added a new young rooster i had to pick him up and move him a few times.. he got it eventually. Once you start the free ranging the birds will expect it out of habit. My birds know what time I'll be in the barn.. they come back from free ranging get breakfast or treats then will head back out. I also have racoons and opossums, but I keep 2 roosters handy as well. Since my birds free range constantly they need the protection when I'm not home. It's sad to say, but a roosters job Is to keep the ladies safe at all cost either they get injured or lay down their life. Doesn't happen often, but it happens that I'll lose a rooster - it's even more rare I lose a hen.

Since your birds are new and adjusting I would give them some time.. they just moved. Let them unpack their boxes lol.. I would keep them cooped for at least a month (that's just me personally) so they are 100% that this is home and here's food.

Regarding a call... my birds have a certain tune i whistle to them and they come running. It's come in very handy for feeding, finding them, and easing my worries to where exactly they are prior to me going to work. You can shake a treat bag they will come to that.. just be aware that if your bringing groceries in and the bags are shaking you may be bombarded with birds lol.

Hi all -- -

Do you know if the guy previously had them free ranging or are they only aware of life inside the mobile coop? It might be a significant detail for better advice tailored to your needs.

They were allowed a bit of free range now and again at their old home. It was a tiny backyard with tall fences. I have about 1/2 acre fenced --- but only about 4.5 feet tall. Lots of trees and bushes around edges. For now I'm moving coop (well, husband is moving coop!) daily to free grass.

Do you know if the guy previously had them free ranging or are they only aware of life inside the mobile coop? It might be a significant detail for better advice tailored to your needs.

Your fence should keep them contained.. I only have one hen who knows she can flutter over, but she will only do this to join the group again not leave. Your chickens should avoid the tree line to a degree also. They will hid under bushes and shrubs to avoid hawks, but they won't go for a walk into the woods either unless they have a rooster or alpha hen who leads them there.

I had 1 old PBR roo who would take the hens into a lightly wooded area, not deep into them ever though.

Back
Top Bottom