new chickens with old chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tinkerchick, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Tinkerchick

Tinkerchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Heber City, UT
    I just adopted 3 new hens and my other hens and rooster are very mean to the new comers. They are constantly pecking them and keeping them in a corner. Will this behavior change? If so how soon?
    ( all chickens are the same age if that matters)

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well... It's too late now but you should have first quarentened them for a month so you wouldn't bring in disease or pests into your flock. As for intergration. Usually you want to put the chickens together where they can see each other for a week or so then let them out together. It will take two weeks or so to reach an equilibrium.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I am assuming you didnt' quarinteen them so lets move on. they are together, and will have to establish a NEW pecking order. From the sounds of it the new chicks are gonna be on the botttom of that order, the bullying should subside in a couple of days to a week. If it gets too rough i would reseperate and introduce slowly so new ones have a chance to adjust to old chickens.(put in an adjoining cage for couple of days or longeer)

Edited to add: are they the same size too?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    They also should be the same size!!!

5. Tinkerchick

Tinkerchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Heber City, UT
    Most are the same size. I do have 3 bantams but they seem to stay out of it. It's mostly my 3 ee's picking on the new 3 ee's.
    Do most chickens carry dieseases?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by