New Chickens won't roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roosterwold, Nov 2, 2008.

1. roosterwold

roosterwold New Egg

Nov 2, 2008
    Just brought 6 laying hens home. They are from a flock of 250. They have decided to not roost, but sleep on the raised floor of the chicken house and they take turns sleeping in the next boxes.[​IMG]

Everything is enclosed so they are safe, but shouldn't they take to the poles and not sleep in the next boxes.

Thanks,
    Roosterwold

2. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    They might not have ever seen a roost before. Prepare for odd behavior from your new girls if they have been in such a large group or if they have not been outside routinely. As it gets dark and they are settled move them to the roost to train them. After a few nights they should figure it out.

3. jasonak

jasonak Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    wasilla,AK
    Hi
    I dont think it really matter some of mine roost some of them just nestle down in the wood chips.I figure what ever make them happy [​IMG]

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Ditto Leah

You can also block the nest boxes overnight - put milk cartons or something to fill them up so the chickens can't get in.

Good luck

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Welcome to BYC, Roosterwold.

You will probably be able to move them onto the roosts by hand. Work with as little light as possible. I've even just done things in the dark so as not to spook 'em.

Finding themselves on the roost in the morning will make them aware of the possibility.

"Unlearning" a bird from roosting in a nest box can come down to convincing it that sleeping there is more trouble than it's worth. You can also use a physical barrier.

Steve

6. Rotnguns

Rotnguns New Egg

Nov 2, 2008
    Hi Rooster,

Roosting in laying hens is actually an acquired taste. Most of my 160 hens roost but there are a few who seem happy to stay on the ground. By the way, what type of roost are you supplying them? They're not too particular but it should be easy for them to grip. Also, if it is not several feet off the ground, they may not consider it worth the effort.

Best wishes!

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    If the roost is comfortable for them to grip on to then I would place them on the pole after dark to let them get use to it. They will get the idea but if they are safe on the floor I would not worry too much about it.

8. roosterwold

roosterwold New Egg

Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks to all who have replied. We'll try moving them to the roost tonight and see what they do tomorrow, and then try moving them again if it doesn't work.

Roosts are 2X4's with semi rounded tops.

After a few days of training, they may just get to sleep on the floor.

Will for sure block the next boxes at night for a bit to see if that helps. Curious what time a chicken normally lays, or is there a normal?

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:the wide side must be UP for the chickens to roost on with a 2x4 they can't roost on the narrow edge very well.

No normal laying time.

10. roosterwold

roosterwold New Egg

Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks - We'll try that next. We did block the nest boxes for night. Will check in the morning to see what's going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by