New chickens won't sleep in coop with older chickens???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Guess what, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Guess what

Guess what New Egg

Jul 16, 2013
    Loomis, California
    I have 3 hens who are about 10 months old. About 3 months ago I added 2 chicks and once the pecking order was set they all get along fine. Problem is the 2 newer chicks won't go into the coop at night with the older chickens. The older ones don't like them being in their coop at night and push them around. If I go out and put them in the coop myself they stay put and all is well. I tried putting a light in the coop but that didn't work. I have a feeling it's more because the older hens are intimidating the younger ones. How do I get all the chickens to go into their coop together at night on their own?

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    I'd take away the light. Add the newbies and then the older hens should wake up thinking they've been there all along. That's what we do with our new fowl. At first you'll have to do it manually, as time goes on they should go in on their own. Hope this helps!

3. Guess what

Guess what New Egg

Jul 16, 2013
    Loomis, California
    Thank you! I actually haven't used the light for about a week. I also have been putting the chicks in the coop every night after dark and they stay put so the hens wake up with them there. Just don't know what else to try.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I would keep putting the new ones in at night. It should take after a while.

Is there plenty of roosting space?

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by