new chickens wont sleep on their roost.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missmelis, Jul 29, 2013.

1. missmelis

missmelis Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    I recently purchased three 12 week old pullets. They get along fabulously, but they wont sleep on their roost. They sleep huddled in the corner. Usually two on top of one another and the third on top of the watered. I try moving them back to the roost and they keep going back to the corner. Should I leave them alone and they will work it out or keep trying to move them to the roost. My poor white leghorn wakes up with a dirty head from being pooped on because shes at the bottom.
  2. Delight30

Delight30 Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls did the same thing and after a few nights some went to roost and then a couple night later they were all roosting.
  3. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Mine did that the first week or two when they moved into the coop. I didn't mind since they were a bit young. We let them sleep in the boxes too. The platform they slept on was getting poopy so we would put them on the roosts ourselves. It took some practice. We then put at least 1 chicken on each roost. It only took 2 or 3 times and they caught on quick. Now they know the drill!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by