1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new chickens won'tcome out of coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Side Beet Chickens, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Side Beet Chickens

Side Beet Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    I ve just got four new chickens ( never had any before ). They are approx 18 weeks old, I want them to be free range in the fields. I have had them in the coop for for days and now trying to get tem to go into the fields but don't seem able to cox them out.

Does anyone have any advice.

D

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Offer them treats, while calling them at the same time. Here chick,chick, chick, chick! They should come a running. They're just scared that's all. Can't blame them there. Enjoy your new chickens!

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    It took my girls a few days to understand that they could go out. They were also 18weeks old when I got them. When my dogs barked (the dogs are about 50 ft from the coop) the girls flew to the coop, if a lg bird flew over the would knock you down to get back.. Their coop is their 'safe haven' , so be patient w/ them . They will come out when they feel safe.. as said above-- throw a hand full of treats in front of the gate and sit and watch..

4. aprile

aprile New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    I agree that they are scared. Our girls free range too. But their first 3 or 4 months they are only in the coop (to keep them safe from predators). When we first open the door ,for the first few days they dont venture too far. I really never coaxed as I like knowing where they are. But periodically throughout the day, I check on them. I too, call chicky-chick-chick and, yes they come running knowing that I will have a treat for them, Be patient and keep them safe and they will relax and become more secure.

5. Side Beet Chickens

Sep 22, 2010
    Thanks for that, I will just let them come out in thier own time, think it may take a while for them to get used to the alpaca as well.

Have tried coxing with treats but that does not work, the only time they come out is when i clean the coop daily and that is only into the temporary run I have made.

D

6. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Be more worried about getting them back IN. They will come out on there own.

7. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    I just recently introduced 3 new bantam chickens into my coop and was worried that they would never go outside on their own. I had to shoo them into the fenced run, once they were out there they loved it but every day they had to be shooed. I finally gave up and said if you don't go out on your own you are stuck. Yesterday it took them most of the day and finally around 4pm they went into the run. Came back in on there own too. Today I just let them be and low and behold I came home from dentist appt and trip to the grocery store and here they were in the backyard free ranging all on their own. So it could take a week or more for them to feel comfortable enough to be outside. Mine were in breeder cages for the first six months of their lives and had to get used to being free from a cage as well. Now if I could just get them to roost.

8. 8HesperiaChickens

8HesperiaChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Hesperia
    They call them "CHICKENS" for a reason. They'll come out eventually. [​IMG]

9. Side Beet Chickens

Sep 22, 2010
    My chickens came out for a while today while i moved the coop to the stables the field was getting to muddy. They only seem to come out when we are about the stables, they met the cat and the alpaca today. Seemed to be ok apart from the two baby alpaca who seem to be a bit to interested, but at feeding time this evening when i coxed them out for a bit again one of the alpaca's soon chased them all back into the pen.
    Hopefully in time they will all get used to each other and they will feel comfortable to come out and room in the fields at the moment only been in stable area.

D

10. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Give em time, most people would recommend you keep them in the coop awhile just to get them used to the safety of it Your lucky they like it they will go back in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by