new chickens

lolli1103

Chirping
Oct 2, 2015
henderson nevada

Want to say we love our new chickens they have grown up wonderfully. The thing I have to say is I only ordered one rooster and thought until two weeks ago that I only had one rooster but as of then we realize we have two. one of our easter eggers turns out is a rooster not a hen he's gorgeous and we love him. It is funny to listen to the two Roosters greet the day they do have a daily contest to see who can sound the best. They both have very distinctive voices our light brown leg horn Henry has a very high pitched crow and Buttercup the Ester egger(yeah i know its a girls name but he's been Buttercup for more than 18 weeks now so it has kind of stuck)has a really deep voice. We tease him a lot saying he's tying so to hard to be a guy with that crow. Never thought he was a rooster ever until he molted and then all of sudden at 16 weeks he started crowing and developed a rooster tail and walla our sweet buttercup hen was our sweet Buttercup rooster.

Last edited:
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
- I'm glad that you have joined us. Thanks for your introduction - I'm glad that you are happy with two roos. I don't know how many girls you have at the moment, but too few girls and 2 roos may not lead to a peaceful existence for the whole flock. If you do intend to keep the 2 roos, then the recommended number of hens would be a total of 20. If you have that kind of number, then no problems in terms of ratio - and if not, then its a perfect excuse for the age old issue of chicken maths to raise its head!
big_smile.png

All the best
CT

Currently we have 9 hens and they are not laying yet. We will have to see how it goes. So far they are working as a team with them but I know things can change. I don't know if we have enough room for 11 more hens but i have thought about sending one of them to to my mom she has the space and wanted chickens also or possibly my sisters as they are currently looking for a small farm to buy in the next couple of months. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Currently we have 9 hens and they are not laying yet. We will have to see how it goes. So far they are working as a team with them but I know things can change. I don't know if we have enough room for 11 more hens but i have thought about sending one of them to to my mom she has the space and wanted chickens also or possibly my sisters as they are currently looking for a small farm to buy in the next couple of months. Thanks for the input.

Ah, thats cool - you have everything under control
thumbsup.gif

CT

Buttercup is a very nice looking roo. Sometimes roos that have grown up together - do get along. The alpha roo as the boss and the lessor roo in the background. Welcome to BYC

Buttercup is a very nice looking roo. Sometimes roos that have grown up together - do get along. The alpha roo as the boss and the lessor roo in the background. Welcome to BYC

Sadly, my experience was quite the opposite - I had two brothers that knocked the stuffing out of each other at 3.5 months old, resulting in the death of one of them. Maybe my cockerels were just nut cases!
smile.png
Goodness knows what kind of roos they would have turned out to be (the survivor went in the pot that very day, so I'll never know)!

CT

Thanks for the welcome. Buttercup doesn't like to get caught but once you catch him he is as calm as can be doesn't mind being held at all. You just have to catch him.

Back
Top Bottom