New chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mamacearc, Nov 5, 2016.

1. mamacearc

mamacearc Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2016
    Hi all! I've been consuming as much info as possible from all corners of this site in every spare moment for weeks now; thanks so much for sharing all your wisdom!

We adopted 5 chickens with almost no warning a couple weeks ago. I'd always wanted to have laying hens someday...surprise- it's someday! These came from two families who decided they were done with chickens (but mysteriously refused to part with their coops). When asked what kinds they are, their owners looked at me like I was stupid and said, "They're chickens."

I'd like to research more about their particular breeds if anyone can help me ID them, but honestly, right now I'm wondering if I can even be sure they are all hens. We are getting 1 egg about every 3 days. They are free range during the day, but I'm not finding any secret stash of eggs anywhere either.
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. mamacearc

Nov 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. mamacearc

Nov 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. mamacearc

Nov 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

5. mamacearc

Nov 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

6. mamacearc

Nov 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

7. mamacearc

Nov 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    pencilled wyandotte and either a California gray leghorn or a barred leghorn.

9. mamacearc

Nov 3, 2016
    Any ideas? I know these pics aren't the best: they spend most of their time in a wooded area and sun or shade the default pose is with their butts in the air.[​IMG]

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    silver laced wyandotte

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by