1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chickens...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by michaelapop127, Nov 9, 2016.

1. michaelapop127

michaelapop127 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Adams Massachusetts
    I just got these older 1 and 2 year old hens. Do you think they are leghorns and do you think the Silkie looks like it's crossed with something else? Also there is one leghorn bantam? Is there such thing? Tell me what you think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Yep, you've pretty much got it figured out. The silkie looks like she's either getting picked on or has some mixed blood in her. And it looks like you do have a leghorn bantam! In shows they aren't all that uncommon, but on farms and stuff they are pretty hard to find. The other two are both standard leghorns.
    Have fun with your new girls!

3. michaelapop127

Apr 12, 2016
    Adams Massachusetts

Thanks!! I know that they are molting and when I look closely at the silkies head I can see new feathers coming in so that's a good sign lol. I think they will be a good fit! Hoping to hatch some chicks!

4. PeepersMama

Cool! Silkies make good mamas if you don't have an incubator - but now you do! [​IMG]
    Have fun! [​IMG]

5. michaelapop127

Apr 12, 2016
    Adams Massachusetts

Yes I was ecstatic to find her I plan on leaving it to the mamas to do it all naturally. I'm excited

6. PeepersMama

We let one of our *annoyingly* broody austra whites hatch a few last year. She was an amazing mom despite the fact she was a hybrid.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by