New Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CoalLucker, Jan 7, 2017.

1. CoalLucker

CoalLucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Indiana
    so i just bought new adult chickens and have inegrayed them into the flock. do i need to show them where the water is or will they find it on their own?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hopefully you quarantined them. Do you have nipple waterers of water pans/buckets?

3. CoalLucker

CoalLucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Indiana
    i didn't need to quarantine them-- i know the owner and they're very healthy and i'm at their farm very often so if i was gonna bring something over, they'd already have it.
    and it's a bucket

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Wrong!!! I wouldn't think someone should need to quarantine my birds either.... but found crawling things on cockerels we processed recently. Can't see anything on my girls who hang out in my lap for long periods of time and no other symptoms despite the fact that I part the feathers and look.

My vet said tracking something on my shoes is much different than having my dog sniff the ground straight up their nose as that was my reasoning to. I presume the same would be true for chickens. On top of that... they still need time to adjust to the microbes and stuff in your soil which may not be the same, so technically your new birds could get sick instead of the opposite.

But you've already done it.. you will probably be fine . They will find the water with no problem in a bucket.

How long did it take you to integrate?

Oh, and Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I hope you enjoy it hare as much as I do.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by