New chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bjcm, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Bjcm

Bjcm In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2018
    Garfield Plt., Maine
    I have 9 new chicks that we got in April from Tractor Supply. 6 are Australorps and 3 are I believe Amberlink. They are all pretty much the same as of acting but I have 1 Amberlink that just stands there and sleeps. When she gets picked up she doesn't squirm or peep. We have seen her eat and drink. Any ideas???? IMG_20190617_171326589.jpg IMG_20190617_171219205.jpg

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I don't think there is anything you can do for her, but I would not be surprised if she passes.
    I have had chickens for years. I have found that for me, chicks might die about day 3 after hatching or at about 8 weeks.

The first, is called failure to thrive, and is usually a genetic problem and they pass after they no longer live on the yolk, but while not near as often, I have had enough that it is worth mentioning, some fail to thrive at about 8 weeks, give or take. I have always assumed that they had an ailment, that when the body was small, the needs were met, but as the body grew, it outgrew some internal organ, such as the heart or something.

I am just guessing, but I do not think it is contagious, but that behavior is not right for a chicken, something is wrong.

Mrs K

to BarbsGirls likes this.
  3. Bjcm

Bjcm In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2018
    Garfield Plt., Maine
    I wish there would be something I could do........

to BarbsGirls likes this.
  4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Chickens are not always a real hardy animal. And it is sad to loose one, but try and enjoy the healthy ones. Maybe she will snap out of it.

Mrs K

to BarbsGirls and Bjcm like this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    A dose of vitamins(Poultry Nutri Drench is the best IMO) might help.

When I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two, at least overnight....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
    I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
    Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

6. Bjcm

Bjcm In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2018
    Garfield Plt., Maine
    Now this one is not opening one of her eyes. I've watched her eat and drink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: