New chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cozycritters, Dec 9, 2009.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    [​IMG]

After the 'pullets' I got at my feed store turned out to all be roos except for one, I figured we'd had too many disasters in one year with chickens. I was going to give my one true pullet to my MIL and the roos were going to go to freezer camp.

Then we got a surprise call from a relative who had to get rid of some chickens-- so I jumped in and said yes!

Color me surprised when they turned out to be six buff laced polish! Not just that, but they are banded and have apparently been to a few shows. (I don't show, however.)

Anything I should know about these ladies? So far they seem very friendly, and quite tiny next to my giant white plymouth rock cockerel...

Sadly they are in not the greatest shape. They ate like they hadn't seen feed in weeks! One of them has a bloody beak from a run in with a dog, but she's the sweetest and I'm hoping she'll be ok. I'm keeping them separate from my other chickens at least for now. I figure only Icy (the one pullet) will ever meet them...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    If you can, you should quarantine them for 30 days. Try adding a little Calf Manna to your feed program for them, it is 28% protein and will help them recover more quickly. Dust them with Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) or Carbaryl 5% dust, to make sure they don't have mites. My polish are quite the characters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by