new chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gerrianne, Jul 4, 2010.

1. gerrianne

gerrianne New Egg

Jul 4, 2010
    my family and I bought 3 chickens about a week ago. They have yet to lay any eggs. They are around 10 months old and were laying with their previous owners. What can I do to get them to start laying?

thanks, I am new to this.

gerrianne

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Sometimes they can be stressed with a move and not lay immediately, any day now! I also wonder about change in diet, it never occurs to me to ask the previous owner what they were feeding.

I almost forgot [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  3. Firebomb_k

Firebomb_k Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    Spencer, WI
    I would try Fake eggs in the nest boxes to entice them to lay.....other than that make them feel at home and welcome.....

The sooner they feel comfortable the sooner they will lay for you.

I hear that talking to them helps too.....maybe just helps you but it still helps.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Maybe the stress of moving to a new place/coop, etc. caused them to stop laying.
    Just make sure they are getting layer pellets and oyster shell.
    Be patient, I'm sure they'll start laying again once they get settled in to their new place with new people. [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Practice patience. Chickens don't deal with change very well, and can go "off" laying for a period of time when they move to a new location. I bet you'll have eggs within 3 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by